Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Should I get a screen protector

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I am confused. Isn't a screen protector a clear film that is put over the screen to protect it from scratches/dirt/etal? Saw one site that offers 4 different protectors for the Nexus 10.

Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    There are screen protectors that cut down on finger prints and smudges but all show them to some degree.

I don't use a protector on my N7 but do on my phone. Personal preference

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyk View Post
    I am confused. Isn't a screen protector a clear film that is put over the screen to protect it from scratches/dirt/etal? Saw one site that offers 4 different protectors for the Nexus 10.
    It protects THE SCREEN from scratches, dirt, et al - not itself.
    It's the sacrificial layer between the nasty, gritty, greasy, gooey outside world and the screen.
    They're cheap enough to replace as warranted....
    Rosalie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Maybe my hands are just naturally oily, but I leave so many smudges that I usually use a stylus.

The Dollar Trees by me have recently started stocking pretty nice ballpoint pen styli, longer than a regular stylus and quite light.
    [Nexus 7 2013 running the ultra-awesome CleanROM 2.1 LE (KitKat) - I always do backups and a clean flash, even with stock ROMs]
    [Nexus 7 2012 given to a friend] [Toshiba Thrive running Android 4.1] [Microsoft Zune 30 classic] [Commodore 128 and assorted goodies]

Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Maybe my hands are just naturally oily, but I leave so many smudges that I usually use a stylus.

The Dollar Trees by me have recently started stocking pretty nice ballpoint pen styli, longer than a regular stylus and quite light.
    Me +1. I got a mini stylus with the Caseen case I bought. Also a big box of Zeiss lens/screen wipes, for when I'm in too big a hurry to pull out the stylus, and get finger smears on the screen.

I got a pen stylus I bet is the same as Panda's, on sale at Walgreen's, and use that for my phone. When it's handy.

It takes a very short time for my screen-protected phone to get quite smudgy from my fingers. And I wash and sanitize my hands quite often (yes, OCD).
    -Rich
    An engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as you needed
    Galaxy S4 (Hyperdrive) - Nexus 7 (CleanROM) - Droid Charge (Tweaked ROM, Lazarus kernel)
    '01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I will be getting the Nexus 10 latest version, whenever it comes out. hopefully soon.
    '"The Dollar Trees by me have recently started stocking pretty nice ballpoint pen styli". Is getting a stylus pretty straight forward? Anything special to look for?

Phone
    Galaxy Note 10+
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    535 times
    Micro knit tips on the stylus, they have better connection to screen.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I bought a couple of those, really great, though sometimes they feel a little slick on my N7's glass versus our Toshiba Thrive.
    [Nexus 7 2013 running the ultra-awesome CleanROM 2.1 LE (KitKat) - I always do backups and a clean flash, even with stock ROMs]
    [Nexus 7 2012 given to a friend] [Toshiba Thrive running Android 4.1] [Microsoft Zune 30 classic] [Commodore 128 and assorted goodies]

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I have always had a protector on the phones. This is my first tablet and its been 1.5 yrs and no protector and its been ok.

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceGuy View Post
    It's a matter of personal preference. I put a screen protector and case on mine before turning it on for the first time. You might also consider where you'll use it & who you'll let use it. Gonna be at the beach or camping where you'll have a greater chance of scratching it with dirt or sand? Then a screen protector might be the way to go. If it's never going to leave the house or you're not going to let kids play on it you'd probably be fine without.
    If someone takes it to the beach, they need to be smacked. Betwen thefts when you go in the water, and worse, the sand, no way i'd bring mine. I have my phone in a ziplock back to protect it from the sand, and that's WITH a screen protector

Quote Originally Posted by nancyk View Post
    How do you clean the screen and do you really use/need the stylus? I cannot imagine not having a mouse to scroll with, having a tablet with no keyboard or mouse should be interesting.
    What sort of anti-virus/anti-malware is necessary on the Nexus 10, or would that be the same as for a pc?
    I use my shirt, a tissue or a microfiber. Whatever is handy. No scratches.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links