Member #

Risks and Effects

Hey there,

I got my N10 a month ago and I think about rooting it. But I'm still not sure

I rooted some android devices in the past and the only problems were idiots abusing privileges. How risky is rooting a N10 (using the genius N10 Toolkit)? I read I could reverse EVERYTHING so Google would not even know about the rooted device (just in case I'd send it back). Is that correct?

I am still not an android pro. Does rooting have any negative effects? AFAIK I can just install the SuperUser binary + app (and maybe BusyBox) and use the privileges but prevent apps from using them without my knowledge. Are these the only effects of rooting?

Sorry if these questions are dumb or were answered thousands of times ago but I heard rooting would be a different process on every device.

Thank you in advance

Member #
    Can I second that question! I have similar worries - and what if you are a proper newbie to android like me?

There are a few toolkits out there to make it easier but how good are they.... is one of them a particularly good place to start?

I very keen to give it a go but worried about being left with an expensive paper weight!

Any helpers?

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2, Note 3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    1514 times
    Welcome to the forum - both of you. We're delighted that you guys chose to join our forum!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Welcome to the forum - both of you. We're delighted that you guys chose to join our forum!
    Thank you

@bugboy The N10 Toolkit seems to be stable and reliable but there is no free 4.2.1 update out yet (although you can get it by donating to the author). As I said I rooted my device and some other android phones for friends. I never heard about any problems. But with my own 500$ tab I am still not sure whether to risk it or not.

Currently I want to find information about a special file format of files I want to modify. The android security system is preventing me from getting the binaries I'd like to decompile...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    To answer the question about privileges.
    I read there are at least was risks, applications which you allow SU access can really mess with your device.

Saying this if you are careful run apps that require root access that you trust, apps with great feedback I think the benefits out weigh the risks.

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas A View Post
    Hey there,

I got my N10 a month ago and I think about rooting it. But I'm still not sure

I rooted some android devices in the past and the only problems were idiots abusing privileges. How risky is rooting a N10 (using the genius N10 Toolkit)? I read I could reverse EVERYTHING so Google would not even know about the rooted device (just in case I'd send it back). Is that correct?

I am still not an android pro. Does rooting have any negative effects? AFAIK I can just install the SuperUser binary + app (and maybe BusyBox) and use the privileges but prevent apps from using them without my knowledge. Are these the only effects of rooting?

Sorry if these questions are dumb or were answered thousands of times ago but I heard rooting would be a different process on every device.

Thank you in advance
    Welcome! Here's a pretty good video explaining some reasons why you would want to root. This is Why XDA-Developers.com Roots Android ? XDA Developer TV ? xda-developers

Basically, it gives you control of your phone. My number 1 reason to root? Being able to backup all my data and even make a complete backup of my entire system. Number 2? Flashing roms/customizations. And there are quite a few more benefits.

You can relock and return your phone to stock. Also something to keep in mind, when/if you unlock your tab it will do a complete wipe so you will lose everything that is not backupable (Not sure that's a word) and you will want to back up anything you don't want to lose.
    He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
    -Albert Einstein

Member #
    Tee hee so I didnt even understand the question! Such a nube! I'm with it now....... I'll catch up with the security/Vulnerability issues next!

And I'll give the N10 Toolkit a go. Thanks!

Ads