Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Isbjoern

Thread: Internet pass-through (via PC USB cable, WLAN not an option)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Internet pass-through (via PC USB cable, WLAN not an option)

On my HTC Incredible S there is a nice Internet pass-through option to share a PC Internet connection with the phone via USB cable - on my Nexus 10 it does not seem to exist. All forum entries I found regarding this topic burn down to setting up a WLAN hotspot in one way or another. I will be working in an area where WLAN is strictly forbidden because it disturbs scientific measurements, thus my question is: Is there any way to get my Nexus 10 to the Internet wired? And while we are at it - is it the Internet pass-through option on my HTC something that is implemented by HTC or is standard on (older) Android versions and Google has removed it for the Nexus 10 (if so, why on Earth would they remove it)?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Cheers
    /Daniel

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2, Note 3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    1511 times
    Welcome to the forum Daniel! I am not a technician, so I can't answer your questions about WLAN, but we have a number of very knowledgeable members and Staff so an answer should be forthcoming, if you're patient.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    USB ethernet was supported (if they had 1, and only 1 specific chipset) until 4.3.
    In 4.3 it was removed by Google. There is a hack available for the Nexus 7 in the form of a flashable update to a rooted device, but 4.4 broke it again.
    IDK if anyone did a similar hack for the Nexus 10 as it was sold in far smaller numbers.
    If you still have 4.1 or 4.2, it should work natively. The BobjGear adapter available on Amazon is guaranteed to work so long as the OS supports it. You'll also need an OTG cable (BobjGear or other sellers on Amazon)
    A thread of some interest http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...12-2012-a.html

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks danvee, that was some clarification. Will never understand some of the Google strategies to remove features which worked perfectly fine. It just doesn't makes sense.
    I am on 4.3, with 4.4 ready downloaded and waiting to be installed. Guess I will give this BobJGear adapter which you suggested a try, was not even aware those things existed - was all the time focused on getting the tablet hooked up via USB-PC. Will report back what the result was, once I got the cable.
    Cheers and merry Christmas!

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    It's all pretty well laid out in the other thread here.
    Simply, they probably removed it since it was broken by the new builds and there was no reason to contract the hardware manufacturer to build a new driver as it was never an 'advertised' feature and such a small number of people used the feature anyway.
    If a simple majority used it and made that known, they may well have updated for compatibility.
    Check out the other thread for more details...
    Merry Christmas to you as well.. 🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I thought that I posted this before ... unless it was moderated for an external XDA link (but I thought that those were allowed)...

You could try Android Reverse Tether ... you will need a rooted phone, with the latest version of Busybox installed, and it will also be necessary to use the Xposed Framework .... but once set-up, it uses your standard USB cable linked to you Windows PC, and shares that PC's internet connection.

I have this working on an N4 and an N10.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks GreenI, indeed I haven't seen that suggestion before. Seems a bit tedious but interesting, will give it try when I have the time. Didn't look into rooting the N10 until now, but I hear it's a pretty smooth operation.

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Will probably take 15 to 30 mins to root then get this tether working.... good luck

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    danvee, thanks again for the tip with the BobjGear adapter. I received it in record time (had to order directly, as Amazon does not ship electronic gadgets outside EU, silly them...) and it worked perfectly fine out-of-the-box on my stock unrooted 4.3 N10. Even more, it also works without driver installation on a MacBook Air and a Win7 laptop, so quiet some value for the money. Will still try the suggestion by GreenI later on, but for the moment this was perfect as I don't have a minute to spare to fiddle around with rooting and stuff.
    And, btw, nice to get helpful answers so quick here, much appreciated!

Cheers
    Isbjoern
    Rosalie likes this.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Interesting.... It's definitely a no-go on the N7 2013... Maybe they neglected to 'fix' it for the N10.

Glad it's working! :thumbup:

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links