Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Nexus 10 hooking up to ethernet via micro usb slot.

So I am trying to connect my wife's Nexus 10 to the internet via a micro usb otg cable by "Samsung" and a "Sabrent" USB ethernet adapter USB 2.0 10/100. I have connected everything to the device and the Ethernet adapter lights up and flashes like its receiving signal, but the tablet won't recognize having any internet connectivity. I can't really find a lot of information on how to do this aside from a mediocre video on YouTube that just says to plug it in and it works, which is obviously not the case for me. I was just wondering if there might be anything anyone might know that I'm doing wrong or could at least direct me on how to get this setup going for my wife. The tablet isn't really of much use to us if we cant connect it to the internet.
    Last edited by rabidwalrus88; 12-22-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times

Member #
    Similar conversation yes, but I was being a bit more specific in hopes that I might have just screwed up something in the process. It seems like any android version over 4.2 is what the main issue is though and unfortunately I can't seem to find a fix anywhere for it. my Nexus 10 came to me with 4.3 already on it and updating to 4.4 apparently doesn't fix anything either. I'm thinking I may just send this back as it doesn't do what I was under the impression it could

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    And, again, the referenced fixes were for the 7.
    IDK if they even worked on the 10 at all.
    Were you able to find references that it could be be used?

Member #
    not really although this Amazon.com: BobjGear USB to RJ45 Compact Fast Ethernet Adapter made for Android Tablets; also works with Ultrabooks, Windows, Linux, Mac, ChromeOS, Android TV Sticks MK802, MK808, UG802, UG007, iMito, Favi. EXCEPTIONS listed in Description below. Bob claims in the description that it works with the Nexus 10, so I went ahead and ordered in hopes that maybe it will just work. It seems to be specifically made for android devices with built in drivers.

If this doesn't work, do you know if there is I way I can roll it back to a version of android older than 4.3 so it works?
    Last edited by rabidwalrus88; 12-23-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added question.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    With the proper OS the BobjGear will work.
    Using the 4.2.2 factory image https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    And Wugfresh's Nexus Root Tool Kit (Google it) you can pretty easily do that.

Member #
    It makes me feel like "Yay lets buy the Google brand tablet so we can get the newest versions of android just so we can revert to older versions!"

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Let's be honest: the N10 sold in miniscule quantity compared to the N7. In fact, my local Walmarts are sitting on about a dozen and a half between them.
    Of users of the N7, what percentage truly needed to use USB ethernet?
    What percentage of Android users would/could make use of it?
    Android isn't like Windows, where a company can just ship a driver disc with the item to enable it's use. Android drivers are 'baked into' the ROM.
    There may well be some custom ROMs that enable it on the N7, but IDK about the N10.
    Can't really blame Google for killing a feature that, to my recollection, they never advertised.
    Bobj went through considerable effort and expense to track down the proper chipset, etc for use on the Toshiba Thrive, which came with a full sized USB port. The referenced thread makes for interesting reading.

Member #
    I guess I just don't really understand why they would remove features, just seems like that's working in reverse. And I cant really imagine the amount of information required to enable that feature is very much.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    They removed it, probably, because it was incompatible with the new OS, and wasn't needed by the vast majority of users.
    The new OS would require them to go to the chipset maker and have them write the drivers (as that's how it's generally done - the hardware manufacturer provides the drivers). That costs money and time.
    I'd be willing to bet that, if a simple majority of people needed it, they'd not have removed it, and gone ahead and updated it. After now 2 version updates, there's still insufficient demand for it to warrant adding it back.

Why does it need to be a wired connection, as opposed to the universally accepted WiFi?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links