Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggrant3876

Thread: Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped

Member #

Angry Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped

This tablet is unrooted running the most recent version of android, perhaps 5.2.2, don't remember where all the updates finally ended. Not sure about the version of "play store" being the most recent.

There are lots of fixes for this issue on the internet. Sadly, they all assume that your phone/tablet will still interact. Mine won't. I just repeatedly get this message and cannot even go to "settings" "apps" to delete/reinstall the google play store app. I've tried the longer press on the power button when turning on the tablet and also the long press on the "power off" button. Neither works.

Essentially, the tablet is bricked as i cannot use it at all, only the unfortunately message is normal brightness, everything else is greyed out. After pressing "OK" the message pops right back up without any opportunity to open anything on the tablet.

Seriously, do I have to do a factory reset at this point ?????

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyLu562 View Post
    This tablet is unrooted running the most recent version of android, perhaps 5.2.2, don't remember where all the updates finally ended. Not sure about the version of "play store" being the most recent.

There are lots of fixes for this issue on the internet. Sadly, they all assume that your phone/tablet will still interact. Mine won't. I just repeatedly get this message and cannot even go to "settings" "apps" to delete/reinstall the google play store app. I've tried the longer press on the power button when turning on the tablet and also the long press on the "power off" button. Neither works.

Essentially, the tablet is bricked as i cannot use it at all, only the unfortunately message is normal brightness, everything else is greyed out. After pressing "OK" the message pops right back up without any opportunity to open anything on the tablet.

Seriously, do I have to do a factory reset at this point ?????
    Welcome to the forum. This issue was successfully fixed in this thread.
    com.google.process.gapps has stopped (after system wipe at welcome screen)

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Member #

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. This issue was successfully fixed in this thread.
    com.google.process.gapps has stopped (after system wipe at welcome screen)
    Thank you for your reply! I don't think you quite understand the problem. I'm unable to do ANYTHING, can't open settings (so unable to access apps to wipe any caches or disable/enable), can't access the Google Play store, can't access internet to d/l smarter-than-me-guy's handy-dandy rooter-tooter to reflash the current version of Android.

So is this issue a hardware issue and I now get to find someone to take apart my tablet, test, and fix it? Any service centers local to Los Angeles?

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyLu562 View Post
    Thank you for your reply! I don't think you quite understand the problem. I'm unable to do ANYTHING, can't open settings (so unable to access apps to wipe any caches or disable/enable), can't access the Google Play store, can't access internet to d/l smarter-than-me-guy's handy-dandy rooter-tooter to reflash the current version of Android.

So is this issue a hardware issue and I now get to find someone to take apart my tablet, test, and fix it? Any service centers local to Los Angeles?
    You can use Wugs ToolKit to reinstall the firmware or do a factory data reset with the buttons.
    [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.9.8 [Updated 11/18/14]: Nexus 6 Thread
    The toolkit has been updated since it's been posted. You'll need a PC to use the toolkit.
    Performing a factory reset may take some time, so make sure that you plug your device in to a power source before you start. If your tablet becomes unresponsive at any point during these steps, you can restart it by holding down the Power button for several seconds.

If your tablet is on, turn it off.
    Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the tablet turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
    Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
    Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
    While holding down the Power button, press and release the Volume Up button once.
    Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "wipe data/factory reset," then press the Power button to select it.
    Press the Volume Down button seven times to highlight "Yes - erase all user data," then press the Power button to select it.
    After the reset is complete, select the option to reboot your device.
    When you're done, follow these steps to restore your data.
    Last edited by ggrant3876; 04-21-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    JimTDI likes this.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Member #

Unhappy

From your directions after installing NRT v2.0.5 on my pc running some version of windows 7:

If your tablet is on, turn it off. CHECK (I short-pressed the "Power Off" function)
    Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the tablet turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it. CHECK
    Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode." Volume Down Button doesn't scroll down a list because "DEVICE INFORMATION" is displayed. There is no choice for "Recovery Mode".

I got to the step in Nexus Root Tooklit v2.0.5 to Unlock Bootloader. It was unsuccessful. I have no access to my device and cannot change the "Settings" "Developer" options. Manually pressing buttons simply displays START with an arrow around it (positioned vertically) and "Device Information" as follows:
    DEVICE INFORMATION
    PRODUCT NAME: manta
    H/W VERSION: 8
    BOOTLOADER VERSION: MANTAMF-01
    CARRIER INFO: NONE
    SERIAL NUMBER: (Let me know if you need this)
    LOCK STATE: LOCKED
    REBOOT MODE FLAG: NONE

Additionally the android guy is laid out with his little service door open (he is not smiling) with the words:
    Downloading...
    Do not turn off target!!

Rather ominous since I've had to turn off the tablet when it was in that "stuck" mode several times.

Do you have any idea what to try next?
    Last edited by SandyLu562; 04-22-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Had you already flashed the stock firmware before attempting the unlock?

Here's a step by step guide.

If you need some serious fixing, it's probably best to go back to the factory settings. Maybe you're just tired of custom ROMs. Well, here's how to restore your Nexus 7 to its out-of-the-box state—no mods, no hacks, no tweaks.

On your PC, begin by downloading the Nexus 7 Root Toolkit. Install the toolkit by clicking "Next" through the various prompts.

Once the installation is complete, go ahead and run the toolkit. A window will pop up asking for your device model. Choose your device from the list along with its OS version and click "Apply".

Head over to "Initial Setup" and click "Full Driver Installation..."

Follow the guide provided in the toolkit to install the required drivers for your Nexus 7. I recommend "Driver Solution #3", but any of the three options should work. The toolkit has a built-in guide with pictures that will aid you in installing the drivers.

Now with the drivers installed, make sure they're working by testing them over in the "Step 3" tab. The toolkit will verify if the drivers are properly installed and working.

Boot into fastboot mode by powering off your Nexus 7, then press and hold both the power and volume down buttons. Plug in your Nexus 7 to your PC with the USB cable.

On your PC, click "Flash Stock + Unroot" in the toolkit. The toolkit will download the factory Android OS your Nexus 7 shipped with.

The rest will be automated by the toolkit. Here it is flashing the factory OS and then rebooting your device all fully restored.

Your Nexus 7 tablet all restored! You can now unplug it from your PC.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Member #
    The st00pidest issue in the world is now resolved. I sure hope you guys at Google fix this crazy stuff as it affects so many users and is really difficult to understand. NOW I understand why CNET describes Google hardware as "Developer Hardware". Everything described above as a fix was way beyond my ability. I'm fortunate to have been sneakier than that st00pid "Unfortunately, blah blah" warning.

Thank you for all your help. It really did keep me from throwing a $500 tablet through the nearest window!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links