Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Nexus 4 USB OTG Support

Gone through the XDA Forums where ppl say that Nexus 4 Doesn't support USB OTG.. is it true?
    Thought i could manage with USB OTG though the internal memory is low.. Now even that option is out..

pls confirm..

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Not sure to be honest, but I do know that the Nexus 7 needed to be rooted before USB OTG would work, so it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case on the N4.

I think Google want everyone to "use the cloud" - not a sensible approach in my view, but I expect that is going to be the way they do things going forward...

Member #
    Actually, an app was developed for the nexus 7 to give USB otg without root access:

Usb otg without root access for nexus 7 found! - xda-developers

Perhaps the same can be done for the nexus 4, or maybe we'll get a software update soon since there was false advertising on this issue. USB otg was promised; so I expect them to deliver. It was my main reason for buying this phone that had no SD card support. I told myself that when I did need to carry large files, at least I could use USB otg.

Time to deliver Google.

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Actually, an app was developed for the nexus 7 to give USB otg without root access:

Perhaps the same can be done for the nexus 4, or maybe we'll get a software update soon since there was false advertising on this issue. USB otg was promised; so I expect them to deliver. It was my main reason for buying this phone that had no SD card support. I told myself that when I did need to carry large files, at least I could use USB otg.

Time to deliver Google.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Thanks for the information.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post

Time to deliver Google.
    Welcome

Thanks for the link & the info - I see the app only allows read access to the USB connected storage, but frankly that is what most folks would want to do with it anyway.

What I find odd is that Google deliberately had to remove USB OTG from the Nexus version of android - so it was a completely deliberate decision on their part, presumably to attempt to force us to use their Play Store services - that is the thing that makes me miffed...

Still, this app might just work with the N4, I suppose...

Anyone want to give it a try?

wmm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    What I find odd is that Google deliberately had to remove USB OTG from the Nexus version of android - so it was a completely deliberate decision on their part, presumably to attempt to force us to use their Play Store services - that is the thing that makes me miffed...
    The commit that removed USB host support had the comment that the phone could not supply 5V out the USB connector. If that's true, it would explain why the software was disabled, not a Google conspiracy to force us into the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Still, this app might just work with the N4, I suppose...

Anyone want to give it a try?
    I believe it has been tried and found not to work. There's some speculation that it might work with a powered hub or with a Y-cable that could be attached to a USB charger. I'm not sure whether that's been tried or not, but even if it does, it wouldn't be terribly convenient.

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wmm View Post
    The commit that removed USB host support had the comment that the phone could not supply 5V out the USB connector. If that's true, it would explain why the software was disabled, not a Google conspiracy to force us into the cloud.

I believe it has been tried and found not to work. There's some speculation that it might work with a powered hub or with a Y-cable that could be attached to a USB charger. I'm not sure whether that's been tried or not, but even if it does, it wouldn't be terribly convenient.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you ddecided to join us. Thanks for the additional information.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wmm View Post
    Interesting but given that USB OTG does work if you are rooted, or non rooted using the app (hence the supplied voltage must be good enough), I tend to favour the conspiracy theory on this occasion

Member #
    (Just registered to answer this post)
    Confirmed, just checked and it does NOT work. I own a rooted Nexus 4, with latest OFW, 4.2.1, and it does NOT work with a pen drive. Tried several applications that help with OTG with no success...

Tried the same setup on a SGS III with no problem, it worked...

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JokinAU View Post
    (Just registered to answer this post)
    Confirmed, just checked and it does NOT work. I own a rooted Nexus 4, with latest OFW, 4.2.1, and it does NOT work with a pen drive. Tried several applications that help with OTG with no success...

Tried the same setup on a SGS III with no problem, it worked...
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Thanks for the additional information.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links