Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member Muleskinner392's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HSV, AR
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    6990
    Liked
    1 times

    Syncing N4 & Outlook

    I ordered my N4 yesterday and hope to receive it by mid-February. This will be my 1st smart phone so I am trying to figure out what I can ahead of time. I use Outlook Small Business 2007 on my laptop (Windows 7-64 bit with Internet Explorer 9) for all my contacts, calendar and Hotmail email access. I have tried Google Chrome and Gmail, however prefer to stay with Outlook and Windows Explorer.

    I do have a Gmail account, to which I linked the N4 when I placed my order. I do not have DSL, as it is not available in our area, so my home internet is through an AT&T mobile broadband account, fed through a wifi home network. I have a 5 GB maximum on the broadband and will have a 2 GB maximum on Straight Talk before they start to threaten shutdown.

    I really don't want to put anything on the "Cloud" as it would eat up my data limits. What I want to be able to do is get my N4 up on my home wifi (which will not be a problem) and then auto sync my N4 to my Outlook email, contacts and calendar whenever I am at home and on my home network. I'd want the sync to go both ways so that any changes to either one would update to the other.

    I’ve read up on setting up the APN for Straight Talk and assume that will also make all my MMS features work. Are there any other settings I need to check?

    Also, I’ve read that many have experienced very poor battery life and heat buildup problems. They noticed that their battery drain seemed to be primarily from Google Play while the phone was inactive, however I couldn’t find any talking about stopping the drain. I do know that it takes a few drain/charge cycles to get the battery & gauge broke in and working correctly.

    Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    smalltowngirl13
    Guest smalltowngirl13's Avatar
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

    Check out this site... Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange

  3. #3
    Super Moderator UltraDroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio - The North Coast!
    Posts
    3,773
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2, Note 3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    20
    Liked
    1511 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

  4. #4
    Junior Member OldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6
    Member #
    6825
    Liked
    3 times
    I use the shareware program MyPhoneExplorer. Load the app on your phone. Install the program on your PC. Start both, then sync through WiFi. Nothing goes on the cloud.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Muleskinner392's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HSV, AR
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    6990
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

    Check out this site... Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange
    Thanks, I'll do that.

  6. #6
    Junior Member tknowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    7455
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

    Just wondering how successful your use of MyPhoneExplorer and the Nexus 4 has been? I have used MyPhoneExplorer for a number of years with a HTC Android device and it worked very well. However, with the Nexus 4 I'm having a lot of difficulty syncing Contacts with my Win 8 Outlook 2010 system. I've tried many different iterations of settings, and multiple resets / recovery of my phone and Outlook contacts but haven't found a reliable syncing method.

    Am I right in saying that the Nexus 4 does support "Phone" contacts but only supports Google based contacts? MyPhoneExplorer seems to get confused and does not recognise any "Phone" contacts on my device yet I have managed to push all my Outlook contacts to the phone once and not had them sync to Google at all (which is my preferemce). The problem occurs when I want to update or sync the contacts again.

    Also, when I try to add a contact on the phone I am forced to synchronise with a Google account - their is no option for adding a contact only to the "phone".

  7. #7
    Super Moderator ggrant3876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    6,577
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    6733
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tknowler View Post
    Hi,

    Just wondering how successful your use of MyPhoneExplorer and the Nexus 4 has been? I have used MyPhoneExplorer for a number of years with a HTC Android device and it worked very well. However, with the Nexus 4 I'm having a lot of difficulty syncing Contacts with my Win 8 Outlook 2010 system. I've tried many different iterations of settings, and multiple resets / recovery of my phone and Outlook contacts but haven't found a reliable syncing method.

    Am I right in saying that the Nexus 4 does support "Phone" contacts but only supports Google based contacts? MyPhoneExplorer seems to get confused and does not recognise any "Phone" contacts on my device yet I have managed to push all my Outlook contacts to the phone once and not had them sync to Google at all (which is my preferemce). The problem occurs when I want to update or sync the contacts again.

    Also, when I try to add a contact on the phone I am forced to synchronise with a Google account - their is no option for adding a contact only to the "phone".
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Never used MyPhoneExplorer but I've had an android smartphone since they came out in late 2008 and just use my Google account to sync with.

    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro
    OnePlus6 T

  8. #8
    Junior Member Muleskinner392's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HSV, AR
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    6990
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tknowler View Post
    Hi,

    Just wondering how successful your use of MyPhoneExplorer and the Nexus 4 has been? I have used MyPhoneExplorer for a number of years with a HTC Android device and it worked very well. However, with the Nexus 4 I'm having a lot of difficulty syncing Contacts with my Win 8 Outlook 2010 system. I've tried many different iterations of settings, and multiple resets / recovery of my phone and Outlook contacts but haven't found a reliable syncing method.

    Am I right in saying that the Nexus 4 does support "Phone" contacts but only supports Google based contacts? MyPhoneExplorer seems to get confused and does not recognise any "Phone" contacts on my device yet I have managed to push all my Outlook contacts to the phone once and not had them sync to Google at all (which is my preferemce). The problem occurs when I want to update or sync the contacts again.

    Also, when I try to add a contact on the phone I am forced to synchronise with a Google account - their is no option for adding a contact only to the "phone".
    Like you, I don't want to have to use the Cloud and wanted an easy way to sync Outlook with my Nexus 4. After trying several options, I ended up with downloading CompanionLink for Outlook and Déjà Office. Both are apps in the Play Store. Déjà Office is free and goes only on your phone. CompanionLink has a 1-time $40 pricetag and goes on both the phone as an app and the PC/Laptop you want to sync with. After installing the apps and program my Outlook 2007 calendar and contacts on my laptop sync perfectly with my phone and automatically update each other with the newest file on either source. The other biggest plus to this is that your contact list and calendar on your phone have all the same catagories as those on your computer and the calendar even looks the same as it does on your computer. For me, this was the best $40 ever spent.

    As far as only adding a contact to the phone, when you set up Déjà Office and CompanionLink you get the option to sync not only with Déjà Office's contact list, but also with the native android contact list. If you tsake the option to sync only with Déjà Office, then you can put any special contacts that you do not want on your comjputer in the native contact list.

    Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Junior Member tknowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    7455
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded and installed a trial version of CompanionLink and DejaOffice. After 15 minutes of use I already think it will do what I need in terms of synchronisation with Outlook and it seems as though there are some other benefits as well. I'll give it a couple of days and if it works out I'm happy to pay the $49 license fee. This is the "final piece of the puzzle" for me to get my Nexus 4 running the way I want it. I've had the phone for about four weeks now and absolutely love it.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Muleskinner392's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HSV, AR
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    6990
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tknowler View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded and installed a trial version of CompanionLink and DejaOffice. After 15 minutes of use I already think it will do what I need in terms of synchronisation with Outlook and it seems as though there are some other benefits as well. I'll give it a couple of days and if it works out I'm happy to pay the $49 license fee. This is the "final piece of the puzzle" for me to get my Nexus 4 running the way I want it. I've had the phone for about four weeks now and absolutely love it.
    Forgot to tell you. Contact CompanionLink customer service before you upgrade and they'll give you a code for $10 off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

myphoneexplorer nexus 4
,
nexus 4 connect to outlook
,

outlook server settings google nexus 4

,

sync nexus 4 with outlook

,

sync outlook with nexus 5

Click on a term to search for related topics.