Member #

Preventing the Email app from syncing a POP account

I'm the "sys admin" for a family member's Nexus 4, and I have hit something I'm not quite sure how to fix.

She doesn't use her gmail account for anything (except Play Store). Instead she uses a POP account provided by Comcast. I have that POP account set up in the Email app (the native app on the Nexus 4, but not the Gmail app). I disabled syncing of that account.

Her emails are delivered to the phone OK (provided her PC email client isn't running), but as soon as she runs her email client on her PC (which removes the messages from the POP server), those same messages disappear from her Nexus 4. She wants the behavior of her previous Android phone, where she had to manually delete messages from the phone (i.e. she has access to old emails that she can refer to on the go).

Is there a setting I missed? Or is there a bug in the Nexus 4 Email app that causes it to ignore the fact the the "sync" option is deselected? I'm thinking "sync" for POP accounts is something added in a later version of Android (her other phone is running Gingerbread and does not have that option and does not delete messages that have been removed from the server).

Having her switch to using Gmail and letting it manage her POP account (like I do) is not an option currently.

Thanks ... Mike

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2, Note 3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    1511 times
    Hi Mike - welcome to the forum!

I'm not a technician, so I can't advise you on a solution to the problem but if you hold on for a bit, we have some really knowledgeable members and staff who will pop in with some possible solutions.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Thanks UltraDroid.

I have a workaround that we're experimenting with - use K-9 Mail instead

But it would be interesting to know whether this is a bug or a setting I somehow missed.

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wenglish View Post
    Thanks UltraDroid.

I have a workaround that we're experimenting with - use K-9 Mail instead

But it would be interesting to know whether this is a bug or a setting I somehow missed.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Like UltraDroid I don't have a solution either. I use the stock email client with no problem.

Pixel 6 pro 512 Gb
    Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb
    LG V60 Dual Screen
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links