Member #
    Liked
    7 times

[RESOLVED] Install From .apk

I have an app that I used on my G1 and then on my Galaxy S that I want to put on my Nexus 4. I can't locate it in the Play store. Is it possible to move the .apk file to the Nexus and install it? I have copied it to the phone but I don't know how to install it. Searched forum but nothing close. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

john
    Nexus 5 with Android Version 4.4.2, Registered Linux User #455717

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs4115 View Post
    I have an app that I used on my G1 and then on my Galaxy S that I want to put on my Nexus 4. I can't locate it in the Play store. Is it possible to move the .apk file to the Nexus and install it? I have copied it to the phone but I don't know how to install it. Searched forum but nothing close. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

john
    Just navigate to it will a file manager of your choice, long press on the apk and you should have the option to install it. Might or might not play well with the N4 since it's such an old apk. I had a G1 too, what is the app you're trying to install?

Pixel 6 pro 512 Gb
    Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb
    LG V60 Dual Screen
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for the quick response. The app is a memo app. I've used a couple and this was the one that worked for me. Unfortunately I don't know the maker, nothing in the app that tells. There are pages and pages of notes and memos on the store. After about 20 -30 pages I thought I would try this option.

I have astro file manager installed. I transferred the file to the download folder. I can not get an option to install. I just get open as text, image, etc. Or just properties, etc. Can not find an option to install. Do I need to be rooted to do this? I had my Galaxy S and my G1 rooted but haven't felt the need on the Nexus. It was loaded down with all of the s--- that Samsung and T-mobile put on my Galaxy S . Should I try a different file manager? Any suggestion as to which one?

Thanks,

john

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs4115 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. The app is a memo app. I've used a couple and this was the one that worked for me. Unfortunately I don't know the maker, nothing in the app that tells. There are pages and pages of notes and memos on the store. After about 20 -30 pages I thought I would try this option.

I have astro file manager installed. I transferred the file to the download folder. I can not get an option to install. I just get open as text, image, etc. Or just properties, etc. Can not find an option to install. Do I need to be rooted to do this? I had my Galaxy S and my G1 rooted but haven't felt the need on the Nexus. It was loaded down with all of the s--- that Samsung and T-mobile put on my Galaxy S . Should I try a different file manager? Any suggestion as to which one?

Thanks,

john
    No, you don't need to be rooted to sideload the apk. Just mount your N4 and copy the apk to the internal storage and navigate to it with Astro.

Pixel 6 pro 512 Gb
    Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb
    LG V60 Dual Screen
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Senior Member thephantom_nexus4's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    have you tried also checking the "all" tab at the play store to see the actual app so you don't have to go thru all of the copying and installing? it may just be there under your nose.
    LG Nexus 4 Occam 4.3
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Asus Google Nexus 7 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    @ggrant3876

I have done that but Astro won't install the apk. I'll probably just find something else that will work and use that. Shame, I really liked this app.

@thephantom

I said in an earlier post that I had gone through over 20 pages after searching for memo and almost as many after using note without finding it. Trust me, it is not just under my nose. I only wish it were so simple. I have downloaded/installed about 5 - 6 hopefuls but they just aren't what I'm looking for. Picky old bastard that I am.

I think I'll just mark the thread resolved and find something else. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

john

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links