Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #

Broken Screen Replacement

Hi all, new member here from the UK.Exactly one month old and i dropped my Nexus 4 and the screen resembles a spiders web,does anyone have an idea of how much it is to replace,i have contacted LG support and they won,t give me a quote until they have seen the damage.If anyone can give me any help it would be very much appreciated thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,
    I think the best solution is do it by yourself...

to remove display, just check this video...
    to buy a new screen, you've this official LG Store... NEXUS 4 - E960

cheers...

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zing View Post
    Hi all, new member here from the UK.Exactly one month old and i dropped my Nexus 4 and the screen resembles a spiders web,does anyone have an idea of how much it is to replace,i have contacted LG support and they won,t give me a quote until they have seen the damage.If anyone can give me any help it would be very much appreciated thanks.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us.
    http://www.nexus4forum.com/forum/int...nt-screen.html

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Re: Broken Screen Replacement

This probably isn't any help, but a friend of mine just had the front glass replaced on a GS3 by a third party vendor. It was $120 US.

They probably want to look at it to determine if just the glass needs replacing, or if you need a new display. I'm surprised you can't get an estimate on new front glass vs new display.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei

Member #
    I have had to send it to LG in the UK where they say they will assess the damage and give me a quote for repair,i have head it should be between 80 and a hundred pounds,ouch !

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by zing View Post
    In the UK I've just been quoted 122.35!!!! (About $185) Daylight robbery.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Re: Broken Screen Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by bingo66 View Post
    In the UK I've just been quoted 122.35!!!! (About $185) Daylight robbery.
    I wonder if the embedded digitizer is contributing to the high price of these repairs. That seems really high.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeit View Post
    I wonder if the embedded digitizer is contributing to the high price of these repairs.
    Yes it does. The cost of fixing a cracked front screen on the Nexus 4 is three times the average cost of repairing similar damage on other phones of similar design and cost. Embedding the digitizer is not a bad idea per se, it made the touch screen more responsive while lowering manufacturing cost for LG, as does making the whole casing part of the screen (except for the back panel). But LG opting for using the thinnest layer of glass of any phone on the market with 4+ inch screen in order to make further savings (though they claim it was to make the phone lighter) was a cheap blow to the consumer getting stuck with the staggering repair bill(s). But I should have known better... when I obtained this phone from my provider (I wanted a BB Z10 but they were out of stock and waiting time was a month) I was slightly surprised at the insistence of the clerk that by no means the warranty would cover any cracks. They had never been so adamant before and the customers in front of me who had purchased large-screen phones from other brands had not been served this speech. I ignored the red flag, big mistake.

Like over 20% of new owners my phone was terminally cracked in less than a month (11 days in my case) due to an obvious design flaw that the manufacturer may or may not quietly fix but will never acknowledge unless some rich idle millionaire decides to amuse themselves by taking LG to court over it. Despite the protests of owners whose phones have not yet cracked the glass failure rate of the Nexus 4 is a statistic of near-spectacular nature. Not that LG is incapable of conceiving and building an excellent quality large-screen phone: the Optimus version of the Nexus 4 has a very low failure rate despite nearly identical build... but its glass is thicker and that's no coincidence. I really enjoyed my Nexus 4 during its brief life and would have been tempted to buy the Optimus but I'm so pissed off at LG that I got the Z10 instead. It is a little smaller and much more expensive but under the so-so look hides what is likely the best picture quality available on the market and amazing touch screen functionality I had no idea could exist. And as a business-oriented user well, like to most others Blackberry's return with a vengeance was the greatest cell event of the year. Bad timing for LG to come up with a thrill-kill lemon.

Member #
    Massive thank you to nunomscoelho!

Brilliant instruction video. Everything works fine. Only one minor problem: the clock had reset itself, which temporarily caused some problems. You have to go into 'Settings' >> 'Date & Time' and ask it to synchronize with the network.

The official LG supplier was pretty rubbish. The "next business day delivery" took three business days, and the customer service was really unprofessional.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,
    I'm glad to help you with the video and really upset about the store.
    With me everything worked really good. The times and the costumer service.
    Everybody has some bad days...
    Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads