Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Incoming Calls From Contacts Not Being Recognized

Hey all, I've just bought a Nexus 4 which came today!

I've got a really weird bug in it and I can't find any information on online. When I receive a call it appears on my phone as +614XX XXX XXX (With country code prefixed, I'm in Australia) whereas most of my contacts are saved as 04XX XXX XXX (no country code prefix).

For some reason my phone is not recognizing that the incoming +614XX number is the same as the 04XX number. However, if I make a phonecall to this 'unknown' +614XX number the phone immediately knows who I am calling (i.e. ties the number to the contact which is saved in the 04XX format).

I've been using Android since a HTC Desire HD and never had this issue before, does anyone know how to tie these contacts together without having to go through and change the 04 in every phone number to +614

Could anyone help me with this issue? Also if you need any more details regarding my phone please let me know.

Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Phone
    Nexus 6
    Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdot View Post
    Hey all, I've just bought a Nexus 4 which came today!

I've got a really weird bug in it and I can't find any information on online. When I receive a call it appears on my phone as +614XX XXX XXX (With country code prefixed, I'm in Australia) whereas most of my contacts are saved as 04XX XXX XXX (no country code prefix).

For some reason my phone is not recognizing that the incoming +614XX number is the same as the 04XX number. However, if I make a phonecall to this 'unknown' +614XX number the phone immediately knows who I am calling (i.e. ties the number to the contact which is saved in the 04XX format).

I've been using Android since a HTC Desire HD and never had this issue before, does anyone know how to tie these contacts together without having to go through and change the 04 in every phone number to +614

Could anyone help me with this issue? Also if you need any more details regarding my phone please let me know.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Have you setup your contacts on your gmail the way they need to be and synced them?

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro
    OnePlus6 T

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Have you setup your contacts on your gmail the way they need to be and synced them?
    I'm not sure if I understand what 'the way they need to be' is?

Just to clarify I haven't faced this non-identification issue with any other Android phone I've owned so I would assume so.

Senior Member thephantom_nexus4's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Welcome aboard. I've not experienced this issue but then again I've set up all my contacts in international format ever since I got my first Nexus (Nexus one) and kept it that way until the recent. Must be a pure android thing because some other Android phones have the manufacturer's skin which support different forms of input

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 4 Occam 4.3
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Asus Google Nexus 7 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Member #
    i have experienced the same thing.

it is very frustrating cos i assume when the phone rings and a number comes up rather than the saved name that it is someone i dont know

any help?

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    i have experienced the same thing.

it is very frustrating cos i assume when the phone rings and a number comes up rather than the saved name that it is someone i dont know

any help?
    are your contact numbers placed in international format? i.e you should have +14251234567
    LG Nexus 4 Occam 4.3
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Asus Google Nexus 7 4.3

teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thephantom View Post
    are your contact numbers placed in international format? i.e you should have +14251234567
    thanks,

i disagree with you though, i dont think they should have to be in intl format....i never ever had intl format except for foreign phone numbers, and the phone always recognised them.

i have a lot of contacts in my phone..i dont think i should have to go back through them all individually and add the intl prefix to them.

most of them are evidently from my own country but if i'm abroad these numbers wont be recognised and so instead of a persons name showing up on screen i get a number...whats the point in saving contacts if they arent recognised by phone

i would have thought that a new phone would have no problem dealing with this

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    You may disagree but if that's how the system works then we need to adapt to it. I never had that issue and it's my opinion that it's due to my contacts being all in international format. I've practiced that since nexus one days. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but that practice works for me and i don't get headaches from suddenly getting an unrecognized call

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    LG Nexus 4 Occam 4.3
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Asus Google Nexus 7 4.3

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thephantom View Post
    You may disagree but if that's how the system works then we need to adapt to it. I never had that issue and it's my opinion that it's due to my contacts being all in international format. I've practiced that since nexus one days. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but that practice works for me and i don't get headaches from suddenly getting an unrecognized call

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    i'm not saying you're wrong and i do appreciate you answering. i do still disagree with you though. i have searched online and there are countless people experiencing the same issue as me-surely the company could adapt to us rather than the otherway round.

today for example i sent and received a few texts to a friend-i am abroad at the present time- and the friends name and photo came up each time until the very last text when suddenly photo disappeared and name disappeared to be replaced by long number-if thats not silly in the extreme i dont know what is

can i ask anyone out there who has had or is having this issue to post a remedy please

Member #

ok so i took your advice and for over an hour i went through every single contact i had in my nexus 4 and i editted them to include the intl code...
    then i went back into my texts and the majority of them were now displaying as coming from numbers rather than from the contacts names that i had saved...
    i have most contacts saved with their photo to make it easier for me to recognise who i am texting and whom i am getting one from but now neither name nor photo is coming up...just number

if anyone can help me i'd really appreciate it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links