Member #

Verizon Blocks Nexus 6P Android 7.1.1 Update

I have a Huawei Nexus 6P (64GB) that is currently running Android 7.0. My phone settings show this version as “up to date”. It is my understanding that my provider, Verizon, blocked the 7.1.1 update for Nexus 6P, possibly due to a conflict with the SIM card. On Dec. 5, 2016 when the 7.1.1 update went live OTA, my phone indicated there was an update available. When I clicked on it, it showed only a security patch. I believe it was the same one I received about a month before that, and watching my phone during the “update” process, there was no OTA update. I have also read that 7.1.1 was initially blocked for the Pixel phones by Verizon, but later released. As far as I can tell, other providers allowed the 7.1.1 update to go through to Nexus 6P customers. Verizon did not officially sell the Nexus 6P, although they did sell the Nexus 6 and are now selling the Pixel phones. I bought mine from Best Buy. I have tried, without success, through several channels at Verizon Tech Support to learn if there are plans to issue 7.1.1 or, for that matter, whether I will get any future Android 7 or beyond updates. I have also been told by T-Mobile, who also did not sell the Nexus 6P, that their Nexus 6P users did receive the 7.1 update OTA. I could switch to T-Mobile, but their reception may not be good in my area, and if I updated to 7.1.1 and then needed to return to Verizon, I might be running a unusable version of Android. Every tech support person I spoke with at Verizon has referred me back to Google, so I am posting here. There are features in 7.1 that are important to me, like visual voicemail. Has anyone else experienced this issue or does anyone know the status of future updates for Nexus 6P users with Verizon as their provider? Upgrading to the Pixel is too costly for me.

Phone
    Nexus 5X
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    No carriers sold the 6P, it came straight from Google...so your updates should only come from Google.
    I can't see how Verizon would be blocking the update. If your Rooted, most likely that is the problem.

EDIT: Found this 7.1.1 for the Nexus 6P on Verizon
    Last edited by lion7718; 02-02-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lion7718 View Post
    No carriers sold the 6P, it came straight from Google...so your updates should only come from Google.
    I can't see how Verizon would be blocking the update. If your Rooted, most likely that is the problem.

EDIT: Found this 7.1.1 for the Nexus 6P on Verizon
    Thanks, lion 7718. No, I'm not rooted, but I did finally receive the 7.1.1 update OTA two days ago. Haven't installed it yet. I'm following comments on the link you sent and letting others lead the way. I will probably update over the weekend. I spoke to many techs at Verizon and they insisted they had nothing to do with the update being held back for their customers.

Member #
    I did install the 7.1.1 OTA update. No issues with it except that Visual Voicemail (Verizon is my carrier) is disappointing. It does not work over WiFi unlike my iPhone 5's Visual Voicemail which did. I never had to wait for voicemail messages to load on my iPhone, but there is always a "loading" delay with Google's visual voicemail. Other than that, it appears to be business as usual with 7.1.1.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links