Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cenn
  • 2 Post By cenn

Thread: display to external monitor or TV?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

display to external monitor or TV?

I am thinking it would be wonderful to use a N7 to do presentations or to display video to a TV while traveling. Does anyone know if this would be feasible? Like a USB to VGA or HDMI output?

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    As far as I know, MHL support is being looked into, or it is possible with a Micro USB to HD adapter.

Something like this, but I know nothing of how to get it working, but I know you need to root for it, for its not natively supported.

I want to see where this thread goes....sounds really interesting.
    If life gives you lemons, you make lemonade - but what about when life gives you lime?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The N7 has wifi direct support in the wifi menu. Go into wifi from settings, then touch the 3 vertical dots menu button and you'll see it. touch it and it will start searching for compatible devices. More computers/TVs should be gaining this tech soon. Google has built it into Ice Cream Sandwich>forward. So if your phone has wifi and is still on Gingerbread, you'll gain this ability once it's updated to ICS.

A cartoon on the technology, but nonetheless shows the abilities. It can also stream lossless audio, something Bluetooth struggles with. It can also file transfer much, much faster than Bluetooth and at greater distances. If conditions are favorable, as far away as two football fields in distance, instead of just the 30 or so feet with Bluetooth. Apparently there will be, if there isn't already, an HDMI dongle solution to existing TVs without wifi direct as mentioned in this article:
    http://androidandme.com/2012/01/news...ms-snapdragon/
    Last edited by cenn; 07-15-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Plutose likes this.

Twitter
    fish1552
    Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Droid Life reported it does not support MHL or HDMI as of now, probably as a cost cutting measure. Hopefully that will change. But they suspect it may be in part due to the Nexus Q and hoping people use it to push video to televisions without cables.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    But they suspect it may be in part due to the Nexus Q and hoping people use it to push video to televisions without cables.
    If you have a Roku box you can do it using an app called "Juice for Roku" on the Play Store. Install the app on your phone/tablet (cost is 2.99 for the app, they also have a demo version that allows you to send one picture and video to make sure your device works with it.), then add the Juice channel on your Roku box.

The top of the line Roku box is the XS model and it goes for only 99 bucks at Walmart vs. a few hundred for the Nexus Q. This Juice feature on the Roku also works independently of a router/net connection. I unplugged my cable modem to test it back when I first bought my Roku. It goes straight to the Roku box on wifi. I played some videos from my phone; works great. Keep in mind it will do video files, music files, and photos. But you're not getting your actual smartphone screen streaming on it to surf web, etc. It will also stream podcast feeds if you have the URL.
    Last edited by cenn; 07-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Pallen and Plutose like this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Anyone have this working yet? I've got an LG BluRay player with WIFi-Direct, and although the drive and my Nexus 7 can connect, there is no obvioius way to send any content from one to the other. I also have a Roku box, and a few other wifi-enabled devices about. Sure like to take advantage of this feature if I could.

Ads