Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: cheap keyboard and cover that works w Nexus

Member #
    Liked
    38 times

cheap keyboard and cover that works w Nexus

Just to share some info...

I had bought this keyboard cover to work wiht my Nook color. a number of months ago. I also purchased the same adapter we can use with the Nexus.. well I had this in a drawer and decided to give it a shot... well darn it WORKS.. even the keyboard works.. WORKS WITH THE ADAPTER...

and at $9.34 and free shipping someone might be interested

Now this isn't a super deluxe item in any way shape or Form.. but for those that want to try this idea out.. it is a cheap way to do it. before shinking a lot of money into keyboard/cover idea

that was a treat as I already have it in hand.............. so will be able to wait until the really NICE covers are released...

Amazon.com: 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case: Computers & Accessories
    halibaitor and Plutose like this.

Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    I was looking at that same keyboard and wondering if it would work with the Nexus.

Thanks for the information.

Amazon.com: 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case: Electronics

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Honestly I wasn't expecting it to work but since it was sitting around.. thought I would give it a go.. The only problem I have with any of these sm keyboards are they are SMALL keyboard. so some hands may have some struggle but it has to be better than using a stylus..
    . and it works much better w the Nexus than it ever did with the Nook...

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Looks like one would need a USB to micro USB adapter to use this or with a standard USB Keyboard.

EDIT UPDATE on this KB purchase: I purchased the Amazon.com: 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case: Electronics and mine did not work correctly. For one thing my Nexus did not know it was there. additionally when I plugged it into a desk top USB port many of the key presses came up with a number 1-9 instead of the letter I pressed. I knew this KB was a gamble and I seem to have lost this one.

I am following up with Amazon to see if I can return it for refund or exchange. I expect it to cost the same to return/exchange as this inexpensive KB cost in the first place.

Last edited by Pallen; 08-03-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    History: 1996 Palm Pilot 1000, 2003 Palm Tungsten E2, On The Go with my neXus 7 from nexus7nexus10.com July 17, 2012 ~ Support developers and forum sponsors.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crenita View Post
    Honestly I wasn't expecting it to work but since it was sitting around.. thought I would give it a go.. The only problem I have with any of these sm keyboards are they are SMALL keyboard. so some hands may have some struggle but it has to be better than using a stylus..
    . and it works much better w the Nexus than it ever did with the Nook...
    Same difference with a small onscreen KB will still be small but not tactile for those that like that tactile feel. One could not expect to do any serious novel on either of them. Also is you do not like some of your valuable screen reistate taken by onscreen KB this type of KB would be welcome.
    Last edited by Pallen; 07-18-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    History: 1996 Palm Pilot 1000, 2003 Palm Tungsten E2, On The Go with my neXus 7 from nexus7nexus10.com July 17, 2012 ~ Support developers and forum sponsors.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Was researching keyboards and found out the Bluetooth iMac keyboard I already have is supposed to work well, except for the media keys. Sweet. Now I just need to improvise a stand for the 7.
    crenita likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Well, I thought it would be easy to connect the iMac Bluetooth keyboard to the nexus. Not. The nexus didn't see the KB. It sees the iMac and pairs successfully, but not the KB.

This raises questions. Has anybody successfully paired the nexus with a BT KB? How?
    Does the tab know it's connected, and thus, removes the stock KB from the app being used so it doesn't take up screen space?
    If you buy a keyboard, does it come with "drivers" that have to be installed?
    Does it come with its own text app that mates with the keyboard?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crenita View Post
    Honestly I wasn't expecting it to work but since it was sitting around.. thought I would give it a go.. The only problem I have with any of these sm keyboards are they are SMALL keyboard. so some hands may have some struggle but it has to be better than using a stylus... and it works much better w the Nexus than it ever did with the Nook...
    Very interesting, and tempting at that price. If you use a physical keyboard, I assume that the predictive typing of the virtual keyboard isn't invoked, and that the on-screen keyboard doesn't appear. Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the virtual on-screen keyboard works with a stylus and predictive typing. But, George Bernard Shaw's quip about a dog's walking on his hind legs may be apropos: "It is not done well: but you are surprised to find it done at all."
    Last edited by Selden; 07-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    One could not expect to do any serious novel on either of them.
    Hey, Lisbeth Salander (the girl with the dragon tattoo) typed her entire autobiography with a Palm, while in a hospital bed recovering from a gunshot wound to the head!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Having Swype on the 7, I might just stick with it.
    Pallen likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links