Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Torrid

Thread: The Joy Factory Pinpoint Precision Stylus

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

The Joy Factory Pinpoint Precision Stylus

In my never-ending quest for the perfect stylus, I decided to try one of the electronic tipped styli that because of being powered, have a smaller tip. The one I purchased is below:

Amazon.com: The Joy Factory Pinpoint Precision Stylus for All Touch Screen Devices (Smartphone, Tablet, Camera) BCU201: Computers & Accessories

I thought I would come here and share a few thoughts on how I liked using it with my Nexus 7 (2013). I know that $40+ can be a lot to pay for a stylus, but I guess I really want that perfect one, and I am going to further lengths in search of one (I was already in the ball park since I own two of the Hand Stylus which have gone for over $30 some time ago).

Anyhow, overall, I liked the build quality, and it is a little thicker than a typical pen--one would assume that would be to hold the battery to power this thing (AAAA)--but I still found it comfortable to hold. The black and silver looks nice and professional, and the body has a clip to put in a breast pocket, but the silver holds all kinds of finger prints, so it doesn't look quite as pretty after some usage. The tip has got to be one of the smallest around: 2.4mm. It also comes with a replaceable tip, and one AAAA battery. Length is approximately pen size (I really hate small styli) and the weight is nice as well. I found it to be a little heavier than previous stylus I have used, but of course, none of the others have a battery. When the device is on, it has a blue light near the tip to let you know that it is on and working. When it is not on, the N7 would not even register any touches from it. To turn it on and off is just a simple twist of the top part of the body of the instrument.

So, getting down to the nitty gritty: A stylus can look and feel great, but how does it perform? I tested it on three note-taking apps: Evernote, which I am starting to like a little more each day, but have never fully committed to (That is another thread for another day); 7notes, which I really love and probably use the most; and just for the sake of this post, Freenote, which I have heard good things about, but have never used.

Honestly, I was all prepared to talk about how the stylus skipped lines a lot when writing in 7notes, and Evernote. I have only had the stylus for two days, and those were the two apps I used it on. However, earlier, I gave it another shot, along with Freenote, and the writing has been a whole LOT better. I wasnt sure how to explain it, but I think I know: When I write on the N7 with the N7 lying down on a flat surface, I experienced more skips when forming letters, shapes, etc. However, when I hold the N7 in one hand at an angle, and write with the other, my skips diminish greatly. I noticed roughly 90% less skips. This is kind of unscientific, so maybe later, if I try again, I may get another result (hope not). In all three apps, the lines were a lot more fluid. I was even able to write in cursive with decent results. Now, keep in mind, I am using this for strictly note taking...I am mainly writing letters, and maybe a shape or two every now and then. I'm not an artist, so I cannot attest to how this stylus would work for drawing/painting. No app/stylus combo in the universe could save my horrible drawings, so I will leave that to real artists! Ha.

Since the tip is smaller, I did feel like I was writing with a better instrument, and as of this moment, it will take the place of my current number 1 stylus, the BoxWave EverTouch (Amazon.com: BoxWave EverTouch Capacitive iPad Stylus - Touch Screen Stylus with Ultra Durable FiberMesh Fabric Tip for Apple iPad Air, iPad mini 2 w/ Retina (2013), iPad 4, iPhone 5s / 5, iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Touchscreen Styl).

I will put it through the paces over the next few days and see how durable the stylus is. One other note: While writing, you will notice that the line you are drawing is behind the tip of the stylus. This didnt bother me too much, as I didn't find the lag that bad, but it may bother some people, and I don't know how an artist would feel about that.

I also considered this one, and may still buy it later to see if I get a different/better result:
    Nota: The Finest Point Stylus for iPad + Android Tablets. Ultrafine tip works with gloves | HEX3

I hope this helped you in some way with your thoughts on styli, and I have several more opinions on styli--but that would be another thread.
    Rosalie likes this.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) AT&T
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Wow. Thanks for that comprehensive review, Torrid. I'll look forward to reading your additional thoughts on it after you've used it more

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    So after a little over a month of usage, I must report that overall, I am...disappointed. I usually used the Joy Factory Pinpoint Stylus for taking notes, and not for drawing or sketching, but I could never overcome one problem: It just skips. When I wrote my thoughts last month, I noticed that when I held my N7 at an angle, I was getting a better response from the device. I don't know if that was an anomaly or what the case was, but as I continued to use the stylus, I would continue to get skips, no matter how I held my N7. Comparatively, I used my Boxwave stylus, and never had an issue. One good thing out my tests, was I discovered Fiinote as a Note taking app, and it is now my go-to app for this. I used the Joy Factory stylus extensively with this app, and I could not stop the skips. I never had any issues with my Boxnote stylus, which of course, is probably $30+ cheaper and not powered. I really wanted this stylus to work, so I must say I am pretty disappointed.

Finally, one last note: As I mentioned above the Joy Factory Pinpoint Precision stylus has a silver and black finish, and while this looks good, the silver part was a fingerprint magnet. Well, after a month of usage, I can say that I don't really like how the device looks now--it doesn't look bad, mind you--just, I don't know, worn. I know it isn't supposed to look brand new anymore, but I don't think it should look like it does now either. I think some of the finger prints just really don't go away, and that just wears on the look of the stylus.

In summary, I had high hopes, but couldn't get around the skips; as I mentioned before, I am not an artist, but I cant see how an artist would get around the skips either. I cant recommend it, especially at its retail price of around $40. I guess the one good thing out of my experience is that I found a new note taking app--haha! I am moving on to my next test stylus which I will also write a summary about here in a few weeks.

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Thanks for the follow up! Looking forward to your next review!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) AT&T
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Thanks, Torrid. You always did write great reviews
    Skipping with a precision stylus = not good
    On their official website they say if it doesn't work with your tablet to contact them for a solution, and they give a contact email. It might be a good idea to let them know your device, OS, et cet, and let them know about the skipping issue. Possible they might have some kind of advice or recourse for you.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links