Twitter
    garemlin
    Member #
    Liked
    674 times

Skype video chat - Android to PC issues???

Not much of a Skyper but I use it from time to time to video chat with my daughter who goes to college out of state. Had always used my laptop. Last night my son tried video chatting with her with his N7. She uses her laptop. Got it all set up and we could see her and his FFC image at the bottom but she could not see him. Tried my N7 and got the same results. Finally tried it with my Razr Maxx and still no video on her end. Went through the settings to see if there was anything that needed tweaking. Video chat is enabled so that can't be it.

Can any of you regular Skypers shed any light on this. Could this be something to do with using an Android device to try to video chat with a PC.

Twitter
    garemlin
    Member #
    Liked
    674 times
    No one???? C'mon!!! I know there are a few of you that use Skype. I have seen your posts.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Garemlin,

I Skype regularly with my family - one of them is on Linux, and on is on Windows XP - no problems with video or audio - on either end. Of course I'm on my N7. I'm using Skype version 2.9.0.315 on my N7 in case that matters. If you want to PM me, we could try a test call N7 to N7 if that helps. I can share any of my settings with you if that helps too.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times

Re: Skype video chat - Android to PC issues???

I tried skyping with my cousin while she was using a Mac and only audio came through. Never thought it was due to her being on a pc type device. You might be onto something.

Twitter
    garemlin
    Member #
    Liked
    674 times
    Quote Originally Posted by candeeduhx3 View Post
    I tried skyping with my cousin while she was using a Mac and only audio came through. Never thought it was due to her being on a pc type device. You might be onto something.

Yeah my daughter was able to hear us on her laptop but she didn't get video.

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    I've used it successfully to skype with an iPad and a Macbook. I think skype in general has issues though. I've had pc to pc where we could not get video on one end and seemingly tried every combination of settings, hanging up and restarting, rebooting. Most times it works fine, but it does mess up enough for me to think there are bugs in the system.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Garemlin,

A few things about Skypeing to a PC. Make sure if it's a Windows PC that the Windows firewall is configured to allow both audio & video to pass-thru to the PC. You can find some pointers here:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/...pgrading-skype

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/...ork-with-skype

Some universities and ISPs block Skype ports - CommunistCast has also been known to from time to time (I don't think for a while now - they got too much flak from the FCC for that move!)

"Comcast, the largest USA Broadband provider is being accused of VoIP blocking, just days before they release their own VoIP offering. According to a long standing thread on the Vonage Forums, many Comcast ISP users are unable to use Vonage. Tempers are flaring: 'Although you will see all manner of opinions on this thread, there seems to be a sentiment that - politely put - Comcast could really be doing a better job of carrying Vonage bits.' Looks as though this could be the beginning of the broadband quality wars, with Comcast taking the first step."

Check router configuration as well... there's a lot of things the audio and video pass through between your daughter and you.

How to Open Ports for Skype | eHow.com

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Skype!! :-)

Twitter
    garemlin
    Member #
    Liked
    674 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    Garemlin,

A few things about Skypeing to a PC. Make sure if it's a Windows PC that the Windows firewall is configured to allow both audio & video to pass-thru to the PC. You can find some pointers here:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/...pgrading-skype

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/...ork-with-skype

Some universities and ISPs block Skype ports - CommunistCast has also been known to from time to time (I don't think for a while now - they got too much flak from the FCC for that move!)

"Comcast, the largest USA Broadband provider is being accused of VoIP blocking, just days before they release their own VoIP offering. According to a long standing thread on the Vonage Forums, many Comcast ISP users are unable to use Vonage. Tempers are flaring: 'Although you will see all manner of opinions on this thread, there seems to be a sentiment that - politely put - Comcast could really be doing a better job of carrying Vonage bits.' Looks as though this could be the beginning of the broadband quality wars, with Comcast taking the first step."

Check router configuration as well... there's a lot of things the audio and video pass through between your daughter and you.

How to Open Ports for Skype | eHow.com

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Skype!! :-)

This is only an issue when I tried to Skype with her using my N7 and phone. Works fine with my laptop. And she has no issues Skyping with friends either.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times

Re: Skype video chat - Android to PC issues???

Stupid question then... you do have "enable video calling " checked in the settings yes?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links