Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Linux Ubuntu and Android

Member #
    Liked
    74 times

Linux Ubuntu and Android

Quote Originally Posted by jeems View Post
    have you tried Linux?
    I have an initial installation of Linux Ubuntu on its own partition on my desktop for over a year now, but it appears to have a driver problem with my system. I can't see what I type is is all pixelated and unreadable. I do not have the skill to workout problems with drivers and setup issues. I have to say the the installation of Ubuntu now is VERY EASY now though. Don't let my bad experience set you back if you are wanting to try it, it works GREAT with most systems and it much more stable than Windoze. And yes Linux is $FR.ee. I do not expext an online solution to this but if anyone knows a quick fix it would be AWESOME!

Then that leads to another question: How does Ubuntu do with syncing with Android, specifically the neXus? They are cousins after all.
    Last edited by Pallen; 09-17-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    History: 1996 Palm Pilot 1000, 2003 Palm Tungsten E2, On The Go with my neXus 7 from nexus7nexus10.com July 17, 2012 ~ Support developers and forum sponsors.

Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    When I tried to plug my Nexus7 into my Ubuntu desktop, nothing happened. This doesn't surprise me too much. I just use a SD card to move things around, as that is easier than trying to figure out how to sync them. (My tablet is rooted.)

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    What version of Ubuntu and what graphics card do you have Pallen. As far plugging it into your Ubuntu box halibaitor, version of Ubuntu is everything - and what is your expectation, that you can mount the file-system, or just see the device? I think you will be able to see it as MTP (media device) / PTP (camera device) device if you have the latest Ubuntu 12.04.1

Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    I was hoping to mount the tablet, but it's no big deal to me. I'm using 10.04.3 mostly because I like the way it looks, as opposed to the interface in 12. I figure, I'll stick with this version for a few more years at least. (It works really well.)

Twitter
    @robdog2232
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I couldn't get ubuntu 12.04 to dual boot with Android x86. I know that is pretty irrelevant to the conversation at hand, just my experience with it. I wound up formatting the hard drive and installing android x86, and then bricking my netbook after trying to reinstall ubuntu. X86 did something to my bios when I installed it. Fun while it lasted anyways!
    Follow me on twitter @robdog2232

Seriously looking forward to the upcoming Nexus lineup, even looking forward to some good rumors!

Device History : OG Droid(rooted, liquid smooth rom), Droid RAZR(rooted, stock rom) , Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus (rooted) (not very interesting, I know)

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Quote Originally Posted by halibaitor View Post
    I was hoping to mount the tablet, but it's no big deal to me. I'm using 10.04.3 mostly because I like the way it looks, as opposed to the interface in 12. I figure, I'll stick with this version for a few more years at least. (It works really well.)
    That's probably (in my opinion) the best version of Ubuntu yet, and it's a LTS (long term supported) version, so it's still supported on the desktop until April of 2013, and on the server until April of 2015. I love it's Gnome interface - have to say I'm not a fan of the new Unity interface at all... Lately I have been looking at Linux Mint - but having used Suse and a few other distros, Ubuntu is still my favorite. I doubt seriously you will have luck with your 10.04 Ubuntu and mounting your Nexus 7 unless you try something like this:

[How to] Connect your Android Ice Cream Sandwich Phone to Ubuntu for File Access | OMG! Ubuntu!
    halibaitor likes this.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robdog2232 View Post
    I couldn't get ubuntu 12.04 to dual boot with Android x86. I know that is pretty irrelevant to the conversation at hand, just my experience with it. I wound up formatting the hard drive and installing android x86, and then bricking my netbook after trying to reinstall ubuntu. X86 did something to my bios when I installed it. Fun while it lasted anyways!
    Sorry to hear you bricked your netbook. I don't know much about Android x86 - I will have to go check out what it is. I have run dual-booted installs along Windows XP, but have had my best luck with standalone Ubuntu installs on a dedicated machine. I usually download the "alternate install" version of Ubuntu - so I can setup software RAID, and a few other things.

Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    I doubt seriously you will have luck with your 10.04 Ubuntu and mounting your Nexus 7 unless you try something like this:
    [How to] Connect your Android Ice Cream Sandwich Phone to Ubuntu for File Access | OMG! Ubuntu!
    Thanks for the link. I saw something similar before, but even more complicated. It's too easy to use SD cards for as little as I intend to transfer things back and forth. I'll save the link however. You never know when you will need something like that.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    What version of Ubuntu and what graphics card do you have Pallen...
    I have "ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386" on a partition and have a board mounted "NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)" Display adapter.
    History: 1996 Palm Pilot 1000, 2003 Palm Tungsten E2, On The Go with my neXus 7 from nexus7nexus10.com July 17, 2012 ~ Support developers and forum sponsors.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Try holding down the <Shift> key while Ubuntu boots. The you may be able to get to a screen where you can select Recovery Mode. If you get that far, give this a glance...

Samael.me.uk: How To: Fix Nvidia graphics issue in Ubuntu 12.04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links