Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New user questions

Member #

New user questions

My new 8 GB Nexus 7 has become my permanent companion, even though I can't yet make it jump through hoops. In fact, I think I'm only using the basics (Kindle reader, Note Everything, Angry Birds, Sudoku). Any help in making better use of the gadget will be appreciated.

1. I want my content to reside on the Nexus 7 and intend to keep my library of books on my Windows 7 computer (maybe using Calibre if I can get it to work for me). Where is content (Nook, Kindle, PDF, HTML, etc.) stored on the Nexus 7 and how can I get to it?

2. I've downloaded some books from the Gutenberg Project in Kindle format, some directly to the Nexus 7 and some via copy from my Windows 7 machine.
    2a. Most of them display on the Nexus 7 Kindle screen with no name and a generic thumbnail. How can I make the book name display? How can I associate a more meaningful thumbnail with each book?
    2b. Where should the books be stored on the Nexus 7? I see entries for them in the Kindle folder (where I put them) and in Internal storage\Android\data\com.amazon.kindle\files (under coversmedium and coverssmall). Was I just lucky that I could read the books or did I stumble on the correct place (Kindle folder)?

3. I have no success in downloading books from Amazon or Google Play (except for one initial free book) and making them stick on the Nexus 7. What are the detailed steps I need to take to make downloads work?

4. I tried to download apps for keyboarding and editing, only to find that one was not optimized for a tablet and the other required an internet connection to work. I usually work in an unconnected mode, only connecting to get updates or content. Is there an easy way to identify those apps that will work on a Nexus 7 in an unconnected mode?

Thanks for any and all constructive help.

Dave

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2, Note 3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    1511 times
    Welcome to the forum Dave - we're delighted to have you as a member.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well it sounds as if you need to download and install a file manager. You can accomplish most of what you're tying to do/want to do with one. There are a number of good ones out there that are free, but the best ones will cost you a dollar or two. Astro File Manager Pro is in my opinion the best if you are not rooted. But like I said there are a bunch out there...download a free version, try it out and when you find one you like buy the paid version to get the "extra" capabilities. The apps description in Play Store will usually tell you what the difference is between the paid version and the free version. After you've done that and you still have questions come back and ask them. Welcome to the forum. We're glad to help when we can.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Sorry, I missed number 3

Welcome to the forum Dave. I will try to answer as many as I can. Please note the RED text

My new 8 GB Nexus 7 has become my permanent companion, even though I can't yet make it jump through hoops. In fact, I think I'm only using the basics (Kindle reader, Note Everything, Angry Birds, Sudoku). Any help in making better use of the gadget will be appreciated.

1. I want my content to reside on the Nexus 7 and intend to keep my library of books on my Windows 7 computer (maybe using Calibre if I can get it to work for me). Where is content (Nook, Kindle, PDF, HTML, etc.) stored on the Nexus 7 and how can I get to it? I agree with @jpcalhoun, in that, you are definitely in need of a file manager. I too like Astro File Manager Pro

2. I've downloaded some books from the Gutenberg Project in Kindle format, some directly to the Nexus 7 and some via copy from my Windows 7 machine.
    2a. Most of them display on the Nexus 7 Kindle screen with no name and a generic thumbnail. How can I make the book name display? How can I associate a more meaningful thumbnail with each book?

Typicially, you can long press the icon, and it'll give you the opportunity of editing the app. This will then give you the ability to change the name of the icon to whatever you wish.

2b. Where should the books be stored on the Nexus 7? I see entries for them in the Kindle folder (where I put them) and in Internal storage\Android\data\com.amazon.kindle\files (under coversmedium and coverssmall). Was I just lucky that I could read the books or did I stumble on the correct place (Kindle folder)?

By downloading a good file manager, you can create folders for your books, and place them there, much like a jump drive.

3. I have no success in downloading books from Amazon or Google Play (except for one initial free book) and making them stick on the Nexus 7. What are the detailed steps I need to take to make downloads work?

Do you know if you are signed into the Play store? You should be, but double check. As for the downloads themselves, you may need to download the respective apps to view the documents. Once you get your file manager, poke around the device when it is mounted to a computer, and see if you are, in fact, getting the documents, and they are just getting stored some place whacky. That will tell you for sure.

4. I tried to download apps for keyboarding and editing, only to find that one was not optimized for a tablet and the other required an internet connection to work. I usually work in an unconnected mode, only connecting to get updates or content. Is there an easy way to identify those apps that will work on a Nexus 7 in an unconnected mode?

I will take this in two parts. FIrst, as for the keyboard app, typically you can determine whether or not the app works for your device simply by trying to download it. Another good indicator is some of the apps are beginning to have an "HD" following the app name. More often than not, if you expound on the description, it will typicaly indicate its compatibility to tablets.

As for the internet connection, a good indicator is to look into the permissions as to what the app needs/wants to run with. Internet connection is one of the permissions that you have to grant prior to download, so you should be able to determine which apps need what. As to whether or not they truly need it, unfortunately, when the app is created, the developer calls for the permissions for a litany of reasons, some of which are unnecessary. Again, this will be a bit of a crap shoot, however, a thorough review of the decription will give you a flavor for what the app does both in the foreground and the background.

I hope this helps you to some degree, and I didn't make you fall asleep too bad. SHould you need anything else, feel free to repost, as there are others far more schooled than I who will also be happy to help.
    Last edited by arborij; 10-12-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Missed a question
    -Arborij
    Motorola Droid 3 (Stock)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
    Samsubg Galaxy Nexus (Rooted and unlocked running JB Sourcery 2.3)
    Asus Nexus 7 (Baked Grouper Blackbean-5)

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Be sure you have the latest version of Calibre as well as support was recently added for the Nexus 7 so that you can now convert and transfer books from Calibre to the Nexus 7.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Hi:

You could also check out my Having Fun with your Nexus 7 guide as it answers many of your questions from a different perspective:
    http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/n...tep-setup.html

@jpcalhoon and arborij: I'm an ES File Explorer, free, fan so why did you buy Astro file Explorer Pro, what makes you a fan?

Tom
    crenita likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Re: New user questions

As far as the Pro version, the only difference is lack of ads. As for what's better, for me, it's just a personal preference. I've played with a couple of others, but still end up going back to Astro.
    -Arborij
    Motorola Droid 3 (Stock)

Member #
    Thanks for your response, arborij.

I tried the "long press" idea within the Kindle reader but it didn't allow me to do anything with the icon, only the content. I'm still open to suggestions for how to make the displayed icon reflect the related book.

I understand that a file manager would allow me to create and populate folders. I already do that with Windows Explorer on my Windows 7 machine. The question is about where the various readers expect to see the content they'll work with. For example, I manually copied files to the Kindle folder and was able to read them with the Kindle reader. Are Adobe and Nook files handled similarly? What folder structure is expected by the readers? Actually, if I could successfully download something from Amazon, Google Play, and Barnes and Noble, I might find out what structure to use, but as previously noted, I haven't had much success with those. So what are the expected structures?

An additional question is related to the kindle books. There's a folder (\Internal storage\Android\data\com.amazon.kindle\files\cover ssmall\storage\sdcard0
    kindle that might contain copies of the books or cover information for the books. Another folder (\Internal storage\Android\data\com.amazon.kindle\files\cover smedium\storage\sdcard0
    kindle) also looks like it might contain the same information. Am I fooling myself by moving/copying books into and out of the \Internal storage\kindle folder?

I've tried to use Calibre to manage my Nexus 7 but some behaviors appear odd. When I look at the content of my Nexus 7, Calibre finds the Kindle format books I have there but not the one book I successfully downloaded from Google Play (the free one). The Title and Author sorts don't work for the device listing, although the Date and Size sorts do work. I suppose I'll have to contact the Calibre people to see what's going on there.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

No problem, sorry I couldn't be more of a help. I only use my tablets a little for Nook or Kindle reading, as I'm old school, in that I like me my paper.
    -Arborij
    Motorola Droid 3 (Stock)

Member #

The books that you download from Amazon go to: sdcard>Android>data>com.amazon.kindle>files

There is also sdcard>kindle folder for sideloading non-DRM .mobi, .prc and PDF files. Compatible books that you save here will show up in the Kindle app. Whether or not you see a cover is hit or miss. A lot of it depends on how the book was initially set up. .mobi files usually have a cover and title. Books converted from .prc to .mobi sometimes do not. This where all of your Project Gutenberg books go.

Amazon purchased Mobipocket several years ago. Mobipocket was an ereader on PDAs with apps for Palm, Pocket PC, Symbian and such. Mobipocket would read .prc (a Palm file) and .mobi (Mobipockets own file format). The earlier Kindles and Kindle apps would read .prc with no problem. More recent versions of the Kindle app do not read .prc files. The Kindle app will read .mobi, including showing the cover if it was properly formatted.

Edit: I should add that Kindle does not support .mobi books with DRM.
    Last edited by kernschatten; 10-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links