Member #
    Liked
    1 times

[Utility]Android 4.2 Ota/root/recovery "1 Click"

Found this on droidrzr.com it should be helpful:

Lots of people are having problems with the Android 4.2 update. They lose root or they can't get back into recovery. So BEFORE you flash 4.2 or if you already did and are having issues. Download this utility I whipped up. It will flash (or reflash) the 4.2 update (Including system, kernel and bootloader). It'll flash the latest 4.2 compatible ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. And then it'll get you all set up to re-root your N7 within the latest CWM. Instructions are included in the README file. PLEASE READ IT!

Link: [Utility]Android 4.2 Ota/root/recovery "1 Click" - DroidRzr.com

Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Could you copy the information to this forum? I'd like to read your post but don't want to join another forum.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    This is the read me file. I did not join to download the file. I think I got it from xda. Still reading. I can't get my computer to see my tablet after updating to 4.2. So I am on hold to try this. It did see the camera function and installed those files when I switched the mtp function, but it won't see my sd card and files.

The Nexus 7 4.2 EZ Update/Recovery/Root Read me file
    By Tucstwo
    @tucstwo or on Droidrzr.com

Steps:
    1. Unzip (if you haven't already) this directory on to your desktop (keep it in its folder)
    2. DO NOT Unzip PlaceMeOnYourSDCardSuperSu.zip (I hope you know what to do, see next step)
    3. Plug your Nexus 7 into your computer
    4. Put the PlaceMeOnYourSDCardSuperSu.zip on the root of your SD card
    5. Ensure USB Debugging is enabled in Settings>Developer options
    6. click runme (with or without a data wipe, some people are having problems)
    7. After the first part runs through, you will end up in ClockworkMod Recovery.
    8. Now, (ON YOUR TABLET) Choose Install Zip from sdcard. (Remember, this is a touch recovery, you can use your fingers.)
    9. Choose zip from sdcard
    10. Browse to the zip and click it, then click Yes - Install
    11. Click +++++Go Back+++++
    12. Click Reboot system now
    13. ?????
    14. Profit!

your device will reboot into the bootloader, it will flash the 4.2 bootloader, kernel, system and the latest CWM touch recovery (the only one compatible with this bootloader). After it's finished doing that, it will reboot. From there, it will boot into recovery so you can flash the SuperSu.zip you placed on your SD card in step 4. Once that is flashed, you can reboot. You will now be on 4.2, rooted, with the latest CWM touch and SuperSu installed!

Here is the xda link to download files. Direct download. Looks to be a little different than above, but does the same thing. Mods, please delete if this is a problem. Thanks.

[Utility]EZ Update Android 4.2/CWM/Root/Save Data/1 Click - xda-developers

Well, I'm gonna hold off and wait till maybe there is an easier way to flash custom recovery. I already have 4.2 and root. The above method works for some, and others get stuck, so read the entire thread.
    Last edited by buzzman; 11-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Gnex/Galaxy Note/TF 101/Nexus 7

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    K.I.S.S. a big DUH for me! I just re-googled- for the 10th time- how to get custom recovery on 4.2 nexus 7. I read today that the CWM and TWRP was not yet compatible with 4.2. Apparently that is wrong information.

Here is what popped up in my latest search. Add custom recovery via 1) ROM manager- does not work. 2) Use goo manager- WORKED!

Here's a link with more indepth info:

Google releases Android 4.2 for Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus (download it now) - Liliputing

You need to tap settings buttons top right ( 3 squares) in the opened app GOO manager- it will give you a choice of installing open recovery script.

It asks are you sure you want to do this???? Say yes, it asks again and says your tablet may reboot. Say yes, and it does it's thing. My tablet did not reboot. It looked like it did nothing at all...Hmmmm. I flipped into recovery and Hello again TWRP.

I did a backup. It rebooted. Then I wasn't sure if this does the automatically flip back to stock recovery on reboot. So I flipped into recovery again...Hello TEAMWINN! Rebooted, and voila

This is why even though I am not technically inclined, I usually am able to do what I set out to do! Just like a dog with a bone And GOOGLE!

So now I am rooted, with custom recovery, and on 4.2 Hope I like 4.2!
    Last edited by buzzman; 11-14-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I would like to give a solution that worked for me about my computer not being able to see my tablet. It would see the camera mode, but not the tablet via mtp/usb. I read that if you turn off debugging mode in settings, that might fix it.

Turned off debugging in settings, and now my computer sees my tablet!

Well, I was able to troubleshoot all my problems. Now to play!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links