Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Thumbs down Lollipop 5.0.1 screwed up my wi-fi connection

Anyone else experiencing constant wi-fi drops on Nexus 7 tablet (2013 2nd generation)? Ever since ota update to 5.0.1, my network connection is hit or miss. When I try to reconnect it says either "saved," or "authentication problem." Then out of the blue it may connect for about 45 seconds and drop; or it will connect for 30 minutes and drop again. I've tried just about everthing: static ip and vice versa; static; DNS; DCHP; switched to airplane and then back to network; rebooted; turned it off, back on again; rebooted modem and router.

Some of this works for a short while but invariably, I lose my connection no matter what.

This is maddening. From what I read, the 5.0.2 update is not addressing this issue.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Is it only on one Wifi connection or all of them?
    What if you temporarily disable security on your router?

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It's only on the nexus connection (which obviously is wireless). My iphone and roku (also wireless) do not drop. The rest on the network are hard-wired ethernet cables.

I don't think it has anything to do with security; and given the area in which I live, I'm not willing to put my computer in harm's way by dropping security. I've read elsewhere that this is a known issue in lollipop. There is a line of code that needs to be deleted but you have to root the tablet to delete it. I don't feel confident enough to mess around with code because if you don't do it right, you brick the device.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    That wasn't exactly my question... Does the issue occur with the Nexus on every wifi network or just yours?
    (You can disable security for a few minutes to test....likely minimal risk as most routers have a built in firewall.)

I've had 5.0.1 for a few weeks and haven't experienced any issues.

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    I'm seeing this on a N4 running 5.0 too. It constantly drops connection and reconnects sometimes, and sometimes not. I'm running PushBullet so I get Notifications all the time about it. I thought it was our home network but I do wonder. I don't see it so much at work. I don't see it on my N9 5.0.1 either.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Ambimom, and Stuart,

Try this...

Settings --> Wi-Fi --> tap 3 dots upper right --> Advanced --> Wi-Fi Frequency Band --> Try not setting to Auto, try 2.4, then 5, if 2.4 doesn't work.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've experienced the same thing, especially as I've connected to a hotel and home Wi-Fi s this week. No probs before the system upgrade. Waiting to see if a fix is issued.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Wi-fi problems solved. I don't know if this is universal, but here's how I solved my problem. I spent a few days away and had absolutely no dropouts which led me to believe the problem was my router so I spent several hours copying each and every setting in my Linksys in anticipation of purchasing a newer router. While reviewing my settings, I came across QoS under "applications and gaming." I didn't know what it did so I looked it up. If you have a bunch of wireless equipment competing for bandwidth, QoS (which stands for quality of service) prioritizes them so they're all not clamoring simultaneously. It's like crowd control.

Obviously in the years since I first installed my router, the number of wireless items I use has quadrupled. I've got smart TVs, tablet, phone, printer etc. that all use wireless connections to my router.

Long story short, I enabled upstream bandwidth and wmm support on the QoS page. Voila. All my troubles ended. No more dropouts. Wifi working perfectly.

It's worth a try. It worked for me.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Excellent - glad you figured it out Ambimom! Thank you for coming back and letting us know how you resolved it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links