Member #

Windows XP file transfer

OK,

I admit that I live in the dark ages (well not totally dark, I did get a Nexus 7). But in this case, my work and home PCs run Windows XP.

I'm pretty happy with XP, it does what I need, and I'm not sure all the computers I'm using would support upgrades anyway - so please save discussions about how I should upgrade (or get rid of windows entirely) etc.

Now, that said. I was expecting to be able to plug my Nexus 7 into a usb plug connected to my desktop and transfer or synchronize files (not just music or videos) between the devices. Upon trying to connect, it recognizes an MTP device, but refuses to find a working driver for it. It will later sometimes find a Nexus 7 device, but again refuses drivers.

In researching the problem, the general consensus is that the powers that be don't want me to be able to do that, and that Windows XP is no longer supported anyway, so tough luck. I even tried loading other ASUS drivers, as was suggested in one forum, but with no luck.

Now, I know I can get around the problem using dropbox, google drive or similar cloud transfer intermediaries. I also can, and have, gotten around the problem by using ES file explorer to make a windows sharing (samba) connection to my PC to get files, if they are in shared directories. This works, but is slow compared to drag and drop with the mouse between folders on my PC.

So my real question is, has anyone been able to make this work directly, or with a driver addition (from where?), or with a 3rd party manager (on either the PC or the Nexus 7 or both)? And if so, can you please share the secret.

Thank you.

- WS

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Make sure menu/system settings/development/usb debugging=unchecked. Replug

Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    I have XP on my desktop and I'm still unable to get the Nexus drivers installed. I may give up and use a newer laptop running Windows 7. It should be as easy as plug and play, but alas, no.

Member #
    I should have thought to try that. On my other devices I can usually have both working (file access and USB debugging). I guess I'll just have to go back and forth with turning that option on and off while developing apps.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Yah it was on by default for me I think. Once I un-checked that my XP saw me and installed the drivers fine.

Ads