Member #

N7 Touch Screen Response Delayed 40 Seconds

Tablet purchased in August from Wmart. I love everything about it and have found myself using it far more than my laptop or Toshiba Thrive 10"(2011.) Not overloaded with apps, but something around 150+. Still stock and still 4.1.2. Build jz054k. Model me370t. IC 3568a.

About 4-6 weeks ago the touch screen became occasionally unresponsive. This was usually the lock screen coming out of sleep state, never on fresh boot. (The pattern unlock just did nothing for 40 seconds.) If I were patient, a normal state would return. Sometimes, in frustration, I would use the power button to see if anything would change--sleep/on/sleep--but all that happened was a black screen till the 40 seconds had passed.

The frequency of this happening has gone from once or twice a week at the beginning to once or twice daily. And today, for the first time, some widgets were also unresponsive. Does not seem to matter if the device has been recharging or not.

I have seen one or two posts elsewhere that described unresponsive touch screens; apparently these were more common on the earlier models from July and August. I think the only "fix" recommended was to return the device to Google for a replacement under warranty. As I use this device for 2-3 hours daily, I have come to rely heavily upon it for both its convenience and performance.

Wmart will do nothing, as I am beyond the 30-day return window. That leaves me with contacting Google for a replacement, but I am unsure about how to proceed. Email to customer service? (Where should I send a query? support.google.com/nexus ?) Phone call? (What phone number?)

Any help--advice or assistance--greatly appreciated. I apologize if this is a repeat of a similar thread, but I was unable to find the one I previously mentioned.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Found this for ya: Contact Google Play about Chrome & Nexus devices - Google Play Help

Contacting them would be best, but they may just redirect you to Asus as well considering you bought it from Walmart.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    I would try to boot up in safe mode first and make sure its not an app that you've recently installed causing it.. to do this, hold the power button like normal to power off, but when the menu appears press and hold where it says 'power off' a dialogue will ask if you want to reboot into safe mode.
    This will start the tablet with no apps, and may help you troubleshoot what's causing the unresponsiveness. When you reboot again normally you will be out of safe mode.

Member #

Re: N7 Touch Screen Response Delayed 40 Seconds

I contacted Asus customer service via online tech support request--told to expect a reply within 48 hours. Also contacted online chat and the agent suggested a problem with the power-saving configuration or bios update. (I have no idea how to resolve either and received no guidance.) Twice today I phoned the CS # (8886783688). The first call was disconnected and tho I'd given my phone #, there was no callback. After ten minutes I redialed, again described the screen problem to another agent, and the recommendation was to do a factory reset, after doing backup to save my apps and data I presume.

I appreciate the suggestions made here by others. But a couple of questions...?
    --if I boot into safe mode, which effectively eliminates any of my downloaded apps, do I just use stock apps (or no apps?) and play around with the N7, waiting to see if the unresponsive screen shows up again?
    --if I discover the problem still is there, then I can assume it is a device problem and replaceable under warranty?
    --if no screen delay in safe mode, but then I reboot normally, and the problem is still there, likely a software situation, and what next? Factory reset and one by one reinstall? With 150 apps, that's tedious at best, allowing for time to evaluate each app and with the problem only occurring randomly. Yikes!

It seemed to me that there was a posting elsewhere about this same situation, especially as it affected early models sold in July and August, but Asus reacted as tho they had never encountered it before. I feel like I am having to jump thru hoops here... but that is just me expressing my frustration at a less-than-a-quick-fix. I shall do the recommended and simplest first, by booting into safe mode.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links