Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cannot Connect to PC

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    What OS are you running? My guess is Windows 7 ??
    I run Win7 Ultimate and mine shows up as MTP device. It acts like a drive though

Phone
    Nokia 3589i
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Yeah... Windows 7 seems to handle it a bit different (and better!) than XP, more like viewing it as a USB Flash drive. I tried for hours getting XP and Windows Server 2003 to see it that way, and also Ubuntu, had better luck with Ubuntu, but slow as molasses.

Windows 7 does a good job (never thought I'd ever compliment a Micro$oft product) connecting with the Nexus 7. I finally gave up on that whole concept of plugging my Nexus 7 in to transfer files from my various PCs - now I just use wi-fi to connect to my boxes using File Explorer ES.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    Jim

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yenalom View Post
    I cannot connect my new NEXUS 7 to my PC. I received the tablet as a Christmas gift yesterday.

The PC is running WINDOWS XP SP3. When I connect the tablet using the supplied USB cable, the PC recognizes the connection by ringing a bell and opening a window asking whether I want to transfer files using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. I cancel that window. Then when I look using a file manager for what disc letter has been assigned to the tablet, there is none! I have tried to connect with the tablet turned both on and off. I have tried in more than one USB ports.

The PC has no problem with other devices such as external drives, flash drives and hand held GPS's.

All help is appreciated.

Bob M
    Hi, Yenalom...(Bob M)...

I've had a Nexus7 since November, and like yourslf , I've never been able to connect it to my Windows XP laptop, in order to copy files or perform backups.

...until now...

After much interweb research, I discovered I needed to upgrade Windows Media Player from v9 to v11 in order to acquire the necessary MTP drivers.

Here is the link for Windows Media Player v11....

Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows

Locate and download the appropriate file to your Windows desktop (around 25Mb)... and install as normal.

Reboot your computer.

---------

On your Nexus7, ensure USB debugging is DISABLED, or this won't work. (If you don't know, or understand what that means, then USB debugging will be disabled by default... so ignore).

Plug in your Nexus 7 to your PC, and open a My Computer/Windows Explorer instance...

You should find, not a DRIVE (ie: D:/),... but a FOLDER called Nexus 7... which should contain a full DIRECTORY tree of your Nexus 7's internal storage... and the usual Windows Drag 'n' Drop rules apply.

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Edit and addendum... this is what you should expect to see...

Name:  n7PC02.jpg
Views: 8179
Size:  213.6 KB
    Last edited by GedBlake; 01-26-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added screenshot
    dennyjones likes this.
    "Good Judgement Comes with Experience, but Experience Comes from Bad Judgement"
    ~ anon. ~

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
    ~ Charles Dickens ~

Devices...
    Advent Vega: VegaBean Beta 6 with 1GB ext2+zRam
    Nexus 7 'grouper': Jellybean 4.3 (build JWR66Y)

Member #
    I said the other day that I would report back after playing around with Windows Media Player, MTP, etc. Well, here goes:

I plugged my NEXUS into the USB port. A window opened on my PC asking me if I wanted to sync files using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. I said yes. Nothing happened,

I then updated to WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11 and repeated everything. Now things were different. I was able to download songs to the NEXUS. so I am getting there.

My question is how do I download other files Movies, pictures, PDF's etc?

All replies are appreciated.

Bob M

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yenalom View Post
    I said the other day that I would report back after playing around with Windows Media Player, MTP, etc. Well, here goes:

I plugged my NEXUS into the USB port. A window opened on my PC asking me if I wanted to sync files using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. I said yes. Nothing happened,

I then updated to WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11 and repeated everything. Now things were different. I was able to download songs to the NEXUS. so I am getting there.

My question is how do I download other files Movies, pictures, PDF's etc?

All replies are appreciated.

Bob M
    Hi, Bob... (again)...

Glad to see you're getting somewhere...

You need an Android file manager; there are plenty available in PlayStore.

ASTRO File Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...go.astro&hl=en seems to be highly favoured by many...

...but I prefer Dual File Manager XT https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ualfm_xt&hl=en...

...and my own particular favourite, X-Plore https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.Xplore&hl=en.

----

Whichever file manager you choose to use, keep a an eye on the /download folder... as that is where most of your 'stuff' will get downloaded to.

Use a file manager to familiarise yourself with the geography of your internal storage... and keep an eye on the UPPER LEFT HAND PULL DOWN SHADE for current downloads. That is where Chrome will alert you to them.

Some APPs will create and use their own folders into which their content is downloaded... use a file manger to figure out where...

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    ~ anon. ~

~ Charles Dickens ~

Devices...

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    This weekend I had to reinstall Windows 7 on my PC.... whicj meant I had to reupdate drivers etc.

On the previous install MTP would only work when USB Debug was off (as GedBlake mentioned earlier), however PTP worked whether USB Debug was on or off.
    With this install ... now MTP will only work if USB Debug is ENABLED (the opposite of before), PTP still works with USB Debug on or off.

Took me a while to realise this, as I assumed it would have been the same, and I was looking for the Nexus 7 folder to appear when I had Debug off.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenI View Post
    This weekend I had to reinstall Windows 7 on my PC.... whicj meant I had to reupdate drivers etc.

On the previous install MTP would only work when USB Debug was off (as GedBlake mentioned earlier), however PTP worked whether USB Debug was on or off.
    With this install ... now MTP will only work if USB Debug is ENABLED (the opposite of before), PTP still works with USB Debug on or off.

Took me a while to realise this, as I assumed it would have been the same, and I was looking for the Nexus 7 folder to appear when I had Debug off.
    Hi, Greenl...

When I had a softbricked N7 a while ago (as a result of some bizarre inexplicable screw-up, whilst trying to unlock the BOOTLOADER)... I tried WugFresh's toolkit to resolve the problem... but had endless problems with MTP drivers.

Nexus 7 would show up on my Windows's XP laptop EITHER as a PTP or ADB device (N7 was bootlooping at this point) in Windows Device Manager.

That issue is now ancient history (solved by FASTBOOT FLASHing the JellyBean factory image from Google).

But afterwards, I could never get an MTP connection to my laptop (I think PTP works irrespective of the existence of MTP drivers, or whether USB debugging is enabled - actually, if my understanding is correct, PTP is/was originally designed for things like digital cameras, and so can be considered 'legacy').

Until I upgraded Windows Media Player (as detailed in my previous post), the only options for backup was PTP (ok for photographs/images in folder /DCIM) or running command line arguments in ADB like...

Code:
    adb pull /mnt /backup
    ...hardly ideal, to say the least!!!

(...and I still have no idea how to copy CWM NANDROID backups to my laptop... easily... without copying everything else... or how to 'push' them back, should I need to so).

However... I digress...

So... even now, if USB debugging is ENABLED in DEVELOPER OPTIONS, my N7 still appears as an ADB device in Windows Device Manager.

If I want to see my N7 as an external 'drive' in Windows X?... I have to disable USB debugging on the N7.

-----

An interesting article here Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central explains how MTP actually works... and a salient quote...

"Another benefit is that the host machine (when your device is connected to a computer) can't muck things up and molest the file system, as it doesn't have block-level access to the files. Instead, a proxy FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) file system is used to mount a psuedo-SD card folder so that your computer can read and write to it via MTP. This means you won't get errors from incorrectly unmounting your phone, and the device still has access to all the data even while plugged into a PC."

This may expain why the Nexus 7 isn't 'mounted' as a 'drive' as such ... but appears as a folder, using FUSE Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (via MTP)...

-----

Anyway... I'm no expert on such matters - just some various ruminations and speculations based on my readings on various websites and blogs...

Sort of like many of us here, I guess... poking around in the metaphorical semi-darkness, looking to understand how to get the best out of our devices.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE...
    Last edited by GedBlake; 01-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    ~ anon. ~

~ Charles Dickens ~

Devices...

njb
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I had the same frustration with XP Pro so I am using the wireless way. I use X-Plore to from the nexus side and CuteFTP form my pc side, when ES File Exlporer is open on the Nexus. I was able to successfully use ES File Explorer to generate an ftp address that I put into CutFTP so I can now access Nexus files from my PC. For anyone interested in using ES File Explorer, just go to Settings->Remote Settings->check Remote manage, and then copy the ftp url that they give you into your ftp client program and you are good to go.
    GedBlake likes this.

njb
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GedBlake View Post
    Hi, Yenalom...(Bob M)...

I've had a Nexus7 since November, and like yourslf , I've never been able to connect it to my Windows XP laptop, in order to copy files or perform backups.

...until now...

After much interweb research, I discovered I needed to upgrade Windows Media Player from v9 to v11 in order to acquire the necessary MTP drivers.

Here is the link for Windows Media Player v11....

Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows

Locate and download the appropriate file to your Windows desktop (around 25Mb)... and install as normal.

Reboot your computer.

---------

On your Nexus7, ensure USB debugging is DISABLED, or this won't work. (If you don't know, or understand what that means, then USB debugging will be disabled by default... so ignore).

Plug in your Nexus 7 to your PC, and open a My Computer/Windows Explorer instance...

You should find, not a DRIVE (ie: D:/),... but a FOLDER called Nexus 7... which should contain a full DIRECTORY tree of your Nexus 7's internal storage... and the usual Windows Drag 'n' Drop rules apply.

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Edit and addendum... this is what you should expect to see...

Name:  n7PC02.jpg
Views: 8179
Size:  213.6 KB

Thanks a million, Ged, for helping me finally solve this vexing problem. After trying five previous solutions gathered from the web and various blogs, your solution finally worked for me. The only problem I have now is that Nexus Root Toolkit will not backup my Nexus, so i need an alternate solution. I have started a separate thread asking for backup strategies now that I finally have a successful USB connection:

http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/n...-strategy.html

Member #
    Hey all. First post. Found this thread after having a similar issue connecting a new Nexus 7 to my Win 7 x64 PC.

I got kindof a screwball situation/solution going on.

I bought my first Nexus 7 right after the 32GB version came out months ago. I have been able to connect that one to my PC with no issues.

I just bought 2 more of them for my kids to use. I was going to copy a couple books to them for my kids to read, but neither one would recognize as being connected. I searched all over the web for a solution, and nothing had worked.

I tried plugging my original one in, and it popped right up. I made sure the settings between all 3 were identical. Tried both of the new ones, and nothing.

As I was staring at this thread, I bumped the new nexus on the table a bit putting some tension on the USB cord connecting it to my PC, and suddenly it popped up in Windows Explorer. I released the tension on the cord, and the device disappeared. Playing with it, the device was randomly showing and disappearing depending on where the tension was on that Mini-USB plug in the Nexus, or the plug's position in the socket. I tried with the other new Nexus and the same thing was going on. Wiggling the plug in the socket would have the device appearing and disappearing.

I tried it with my original Nexus, and found the same thing would happen with that one too. Must have been blind luck that it happened to be oriented correctly the previous times I had connected it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the issue is here specifically. I'm thinking it could be a short in the socket, or a bad connection inside or just bad USB sockets overall. It's pretty obvious ASUS/Google did not give a high priority to USB connections for these devices. Anyone having similar issues where there does not appear to be a software based reason for it might try wiggling the plug in the socket and see if it works. I'm just hoping there's no danger of frying the device doing this, but I guess that's what warranties are for.

Thanks,

-Dark Jester

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads