Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

New to Nexus - a couple of questions if I can

Hi. I am ready to purchase a Nexus 7 which will accompany me to my holiday destinations instead of carrying a laptop around. Size for size it is a no brainer........but I do need it to be able to do a couple of important things which are easy to do on a laptop.

So, firstly, I am a keen photographer and video shooter and I need to be able to plug in my cameras (or cards) at the end of each day to view my pictures / movies. I would also want to dump some of it on the internal storage to free up card space. Because there hasn't seemed to be a way of doing this with the Nexus it has been stopping me from getting the N7............until recently when I heard that you can download an app from Google Play called "Nexus Media Importer" which allows the N7, via a OTG cable, to read external USB sticks and USB card holders. The article went on to say that if you needed to attach something such as a HDD that needed external power you could attach a powered USB port between the OTG cable and the peripheral.

Now, if this is genuine info then is the answer to my wish list for the N7!!! BUT.............does it work? has anyone used the app and USB (powered and un-powered) ad got a result??

It is important to me because I don't want to buy something that will not do what I need it to do.

This is the link to one of the articles regarding the attachment of peripherals to the Nexus 7 http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-t...us-7-50010107/

Thanks for reading and I hope there are answers out there!!

Cheers

Nigel
    Last edited by NJM; 03-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Twitter
    misscassyL
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Hello and welcome.

I use the nexus media importer app and it does what it says

Phone
    Galaxy Note 8
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    528 times

Re: New to Nexus - a couple of questions if I can

I verified that Nexus Media "Importer" works on my 2TB external drive to read the information on the drive and to Import off of it. I typically use the app and the dongle to access all my media etc on my SD cards, but as for taking information and copying from the tablet to the Drive that I could not find how to do, maybe someone here can let us know.
    If it is possible, you still need to take the files from your camera card, copy to the Nexus, and then transfer to the HD.
    I am glad you started this post however as I was thinking in the past if it would be possible to read an external drive, and now I know, glad I found that powered usb port...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Nexus Media Importer can be used with an OTG cable to read and import data from an external source to the N7 but cannot go the other way, export/write from the N7 to external storage. If you want to be able to read/write to/from external storage on the N7 then you need to be rooted and use an application called Stickmount.

Phone
    Galaxy Note 8
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    528 times

Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Nexus Media Importer can be used with an OTG cable to read and import data from an external source to the N7 but cannot go the other way, export/write from the N7 to external storage. If you want to be able to read/write to/from external storage on the N7 then you need to be rooted and use an application called Stickmount.
    Ok, that sounds right, I knew I've used and app in the past for copying.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies - it looks good to go!!! My main concern is to be able to stream video and stills from SD cards to the Nexus - to be able to do the same from a HDD via a powered hub is great news too, I do think that you can actually get the data onto the Nexus internal memory using the app and OTG cable with SD or HDD.

Going the other way is another project!!!

Someone mentioned rooting - is this the same as "jailbreaking" on other equipment I have read about? Is it safe to do this and does it invalidate the warranty?

I have also read info on these topics about kernels and making ROM's??????? What is that all about?

Thanks again for all your help. It does look like my concerns have been dissipated!!

Nigel

Phone
    Galaxy Note 8
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    528 times

You do not need to be rooted to use Nexus Media Importer, which allows you to read from and copy from an external device/sdcard/HD to the Tablet.

To copy from the tablet to an external device you need Stickmount, and you do need to be rooted for it to work.

Yes rooting is the term used in the android world, jailbreaking in the Apple/iPhone iPad world. And yes as far as warranty is concerned, the manufacturer says your warranty will be voided, it's a risk we take to get full access.

I used Wugfresh's app to root my Nexus Tablets, there are other ways, but his seems the easiest to me and also allows you to take the Tablet back to the completely stock / unrooted state.

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    Welcome to the forum. Nice avatar, btw!

Just to add a little to what EFIN said. Rooting does void your warranty, but it is not difficult and comes with other benefits. You can install roms and kernels which people use to tweak the system. ROMs typically allow for more customization of the looks and offer some tweaks that make it faster smoother (in some cases). However, you don't have to flash a rom just because you unlock and root. The root part also allows you to copy to and from usb storage. The main reason I root all my devices is to make a complete backup. If I install a bad app or something happens, I have a complete "image" of my nexus. When I reinstall it it looks exactly like it did at them moment I made the backup. I'd look into it and ask lots of questions. Folks are friendly around here.
    He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
    -Albert Einstein

Phone
    Galaxy Note 8
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    528 times

Quote Originally Posted by jeems View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Nice avatar, btw!

Just to add a little to what EFIN said. Rooting does void your warranty, but it is not difficult and comes with other benefits. You can install roms and kernels which people use to tweak the system. ROMs typically allow for more customization of the looks and offer some tweaks that make it faster smoother (in some cases). However, you don't have to flash a rom just because you unlock and root. The root part also allows you to copy to and from usb storage. The main reason I root all my devices is to make a complete backup. If I install a bad app or something happens, I have a complete "image" of my nexus. When I reinstall it it looks exactly like it did at them moment I made the backup. I'd look into it and ask lots of questions. Folks are friendly around here.
    Thank you Jeems, very well said, I was considering going into what you said but figured since he may still be on the fence about getting the Tablet...

I do exactly what you do for my Nexus 10 and 7, maybe a little rom tweak now and again, but on my Galaxy Nexus it's been through the rom wringer, it probably shakes every time I touch it figuring I'm going to rip it's roots out again to play with another, glad these devices are solidly built and that we have developers such as Wug and the others to keep us on track... (so to speak...)

Member #
    Thanks again - very informative.

@EFIN - I'm off the fence now after seeing these replies!! Looks like the N7 will do just what I want (without rooting too!!) May consider the rooting avenue later when I am used to the tablet and have spent more time reading these forums......probably have to come back for advice though, so be patient!!

Thanks again

Nigel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links