Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lost Stereo Channel

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Lost Stereo Channel

I don't know if anybody has experienced this (a quick check in the forum didn't turn up anything)

My N-7 has lost the left audio channel when I use the earphone jack. It has come back for just a second or two over the past couple weeks where it just cut back in for several seconds or even a couple minutes, and then dropped back out. It doesn't seem like it's a jack/mechanical issue - I've had lots of experience with that sort of thing in radios and other electronics, so I know what that's all about. Is there some app/tool that can do a channel diagnostic? Has anything like this ever been reported here before?

Thanks - Mark

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Are you certain the problem lies with the N7? I've had the problem you describe, not with the N7 however, and twice I traced it to a single broken wire within the cable on the failed side of the earphones.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Are you certain the problem lies with the N7? I've had the problem you describe, not with the N7 however, and twice I traced it to a single broken wire within the cable on the failed side of the earphones.
    As certain as I can be. Two sets of phones do the same thing and both work in stereo on other equipment.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkVonShief View Post
    As certain as I can be. Two sets of phones do the same thing and both work in stereo on other equipment.
    That's disappointing. I would have to come to the same conclusion as you have.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Now this is really weird - I was watching a Rocketboom episode last night with the headphones on and said to myself, "Self, I do believe that I'm hearing both sides of this..."

So for some reason, the missing channel is back after two weeks gone.

Dang! I hate it when this sort of thing happens.

I'll post up status in a couple days. For now, the music is flowing.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm hoping that this is the final post I make on this. Last night I plugged in the headphones and guess what? No left channel. In the course of experimenting, I did a full audio shut-off and then back on and - voilà - sound everywhere it should be.

Long and short, it still erroneously dropped the left channel for some weird reason, but now I have a method to get it back (because this *will* happen again)

Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    And apparently you've just proven that it's a software, not hardware, issue.
    -Rich
    An engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as you needed
    Galaxy S4 (Hyperdrive) - Nexus 7 (CleanROM) - Droid Charge (Tweaked ROM, Lazarus kernel)
    '01 Suzuki Intruder 800

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well, I don't want to jump to that right away. Certainly software fixes it. I did a search for this sort of thing and came up empty, so there's nothing systemic here. I don't know the nexus architecture so I can only guess/hypothesize that maybe an ASIC or RAM dropped a bit somewhere that wasn't reloaded until the sound off/on sequence. But that doesn't mean software didn't do it, either.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK, so this has carried on for two weeks now, with the stereo channel being gone for a couple weeks before that. It disappeared for what looks like the final time last night and I can't get it back. I'm whipped. I'm ready to throw in the towel and ask for a replacement. I've done everything I can do short of cracking the case, but it wouldn't be anything I could fix if I did crack the case.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkVonShief View Post
    OK, so this has carried on for two weeks now, with the stereo channel being gone for a couple weeks before that. It disappeared for what looks like the final time last night and I can't get it back. I'm whipped. I'm ready to throw in the towel and ask for a replacement. I've done everything I can do short of cracking the case, but it wouldn't be anything I could fix if I did crack the case.
    Mmm... sounds like a hardware issue to me... if you've tried various headphones, and MADE SURE THE JACK IS PLUGGED IN ALL THE WAY - I have noticed the socket can be a little tight/resistant... (if the jack doesn't goes all the way in, you will only get one channel)...

...then the most likely common denominator, is a hardware fault with your Nexus 7.

If you're running unrooted factory stock - it should just work!

Cracking the case definitely won't help, as the audio input jack is soldered directly onto the board - there are no wires.

----

For what it's worth, there's a simple stereo audio diagnostic app available here...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...ereotest&hl=en

-----

I would recommend a return/replacement... as a defective unit. It's simply not worth the hassle of tinkering around in the desperate hope that 'something' might work.

-----

Wish I could be of more assistance...

Good luck.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    "Good Judgement Comes with Experience, but Experience Comes from Bad Judgement"
    ~ anon. ~

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
    ~ Charles Dickens ~

Devices...
    Advent Vega: VegaBean Beta 6 with 1GB ext2+zRam
    Nexus 7 'grouper': Jellybean 4.3 (build JWR66Y)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads