Member #

Problems Using Non Google Email Account

The main reason I bought a 2012 Nexus 7 now running Android 5.1.1 was to take it overseas next week and keep in touch with my daughter by email who will join us in Europe. I very much want to use my old email address - the one I've had for years - since this is the one she and the rest of my family have.

I get emails to my non gmail address with the Nexus, just the same as using my laptop.

I have entered my daughter's contact details using the Contacts app, and have set up my old email address through the Gmail app. When I use my old email address and enter my daughter's name into the To field my daughter's details come up. When I touch the arrow head icon at the top right the message 'sending email' comes up briefly. But she never gets the email.

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I required to use my gmail address to communicate with other people with the Nexus? If it is possible to use my old email address through the Gmail app to communicate with other people could you point me to simple instructions on what I should do?

Regards, Alex

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
    The main reason I bought a 2012 Nexus 7 now running Android 5.1.1 was to take it overseas next week and keep in touch with my daughter by email who will join us in Europe. I very much want to use my old email address - the one I've had for years - since this is the one she and the rest of my family have.

I get emails to my non gmail address with the Nexus, just the same as using my laptop.

I have entered my daughter's contact details using the Contacts app, and have set up my old email address through the Gmail app. When I use my old email address and enter my daughter's name into the To field my daughter's details come up. When I touch the arrow head icon at the top right the message 'sending email' comes up briefly. But she never gets the email.

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I required to use my gmail address to communicate with other people with the Nexus? If it is possible to use my old email address through the Gmail app to communicate with other people could you point me to simple instructions on what I should do?

Regards, Alex
    Alex, take a look at an app called K-9 Mail - you can setup several email accounts on your Nexus 7 2012 with it.

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Are you getting an error when you send it? Are the emails still in your outbox? If they are being sent (no error on your part) the issue may be on her end. Have you tried sending an email to someone else (maybe to your own Gmail account if you have one)? Does it get through?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Are you getting an error when you send it? Are the emails still in your outbox? If they are being sent (no error on your part) the issue may be on her end. Have you tried sending an email to someone else (maybe to your own Gmail account if you have one)? Does it get through?
    Thanks again. I can send emails to my non Gmail account with Gmail, and vice versa.

I stumbled across a setting last night which shows that all the emails that haven't been sent are 'queued'. They don't seem to have left my Nexus.

But I have no idea what to do to send them. Part of my problems is that naming of apps and so on seems to have changed with Android 5.1.1 so Nexus 7 for Dummies is no longer much help to me. And so far as I can tell the Google guide to Android 5 seems to deal with cell phones, not tablets. I can't even find 'queued' in that guide.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    Alex, take a look at an app called K-9 Mail - you can setup several email accounts on your Nexus 7 2012 with it.
    Thanks, Jim. I'll do that. But I leave for Europe on Friday, so there is some urgency.

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    I would double check your outgoing mail settings as well. Google them if you are unsure.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links