Phone
    iPhone6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Nexus 7 Reluctant To Update To Android 4.4.4

I bought my beast 2 days ago. A 'previously enjoyed' Nexus 7 2014 (1st Gen)
    It appears to be working flawlessly. Smooth and positive with no slowing down. It automatically updated itself to 4.4.2 then 4.4.3. It keeps saying it's about to update to 4.4.4 but then everything just halts! Assistance would be appreciated.
    If you go down to the woods today.
    Take only pictures. Leave only footprints. Keep only memories

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    1354 times
    OK, just so you know - there was a 2012 and a 2013 Nexus 7 - but no 2014. The 2012 has no camera on the backside (1st Gen) - the 2013 does. Does your Nexus 7 appear to download the update file? When you say it halts, is it still usable, or it locks up and you have to reboot it?

Phone
    iPhone6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Sorry. Wrote 2014 in error, of course it's 2012.

When I open System updates in 'Settings' I get Android 4.4.4 System update in large blue lettering.

Then very small 'Downloaded and verified : 1.8MB.

I get a 'Restart & install button. When I click on that, it says rebooting (countdown from 8 seconds) after which it reverts to 'Downloaded and verified' again

Then it says Rebooting now 1.8MB But nothing happens after that! Except that the Restart & install button changes to Cancel installation!

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    1354 times
    Your avatar says it all... which model of the 2012 do you have? 8, 16 or 32 GB of storage?? If you look in Settings there s/b an option like Storage (I don't remember the exact wording on 4.3) but is it possible your disc space is full from the music transfer?
    Goldfynche likes this.

Phone
    iPhone6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    Your avatar says it all... which model of the 2012 do you have? 8, 16 or 32 GB of storage?? If you look in Settings there s/b an option like Storage (I don't remember the exact wording on 4.3) but is it possible your disc space is full from the music transfer?
    Mine is 32 GB. It says 25.37GB available. It also says that Audio (music etc.) has only used 0.98 GB

Although that can't be right. I've got over 100 tunes stored!

.....and sorry. Your other question. It just stops! No freezing up or locking.
    Last edited by Goldfynche; 08-10-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    1354 times
    OK, I'd recommend you try wiping the cache partition on your tablet, then seeing if the 4.4.4 update will apply then. This won't delete any of your data.

Power off your tablet. Then press and hold both power and volume down until you see a dead robot on the screen. The word "Start" will be at the top. Use your volume up and down keys to navigate until you see "Recovery mode" at the top. Press the power button, it'll reboot, dead robot on screen again. Press power and vol. up, release, and a new menu should appear. Again, navigate with the vol. up/down keys. Select "Wipe Cache Partition", after wipe is complete, select reboot now, and press power. After it reboots see if the update will apply...
    Last edited by JimTDI; 08-10-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Phone
    iPhone6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Nope! Still 4.4.3

That's what my Avatar owl is asking! "Where's the four?"

Followed your instructions diligently to the letter!
    Last edited by Goldfynche; 08-10-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    1354 times
    I thought it was "Well then Fine" - at least that's what those kids told me when I got my smartphone.

So tell me about getting this relic, what was on it when you got it, how you set it up, etc. It strikes me as odd you have all that music, and the reported disk usage. Maybe there's a corrupt partition or something. Do you feel comfortable resetting it - setting it back up? If it was mine, I'd flash a factory image of 4.4.4 to it, but that requires a PC, and USB cable and learning a few ADB commands. Otherwise a factory reset (basically deletes your data and sets it back to a clean base, of the version of the OS you currently have, in your case 4.3)

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    1354 times
    Here's someone with a similar situation, only on a 2013 Nexus 7. Apparently clearing the App "data" for Google Services Framework allows it to try the update again...

https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-7-2013-tablet

Phone
    iPhone6
    Tablet
    Nexus 7
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTDI View Post
    I thought it was "Well then Fine" - at least that's what those kids told me when I got my smartphone.

So tell me about getting this relic, what was on it when you got it, how you set it up, etc. It strikes me as odd you have all that music, and the reported disk usage. Maybe there's a corrupt partition or something. Do you feel comfortable resetting it - setting it back up? If it was mine, I'd flash a factory image of 4.4.4 to it, but that requires a PC, and USB cable and learning a few ADB commands. Otherwise a factory reset (basically deletes your data and sets it back to a clean base, of the version of the OS you currently have, in your case 4.3)

I wasn't aware that it was a relic when I bought it. It looked so new and pristine. I bought it from The CEX shop. Do you have those over there? It had been factory reset. I just added my Google account I don't regret buying it. It more than fills my requirements. Although a rear camera would have been nice. I do however have have an iphone5 to cover those needs. It updated itself to 4.4.2 then 4.4.3. I have Facebook Facebook Messenger, Gmail The music player app, a couple of hobby apps. Youtube and a Patient access app to order repeat prescriptions from my doctor. And that about covers it There are, of course, all the permanent Google apps. But I just ignore those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links