Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recommended Reading: Anandtech N7 Review

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Recommended Reading: Anandtech N7 Review

Hey all! I just finished reading the Anandtech Nexus 7 (2013) Full Review written by Anand himself, in which he awards the new N7 with the silver award for it's category. It was posted about 2 weeks ago and not to be confused with the mini review from a little while earlier which I have yet to read.

This review was a great read! Sometimes I have a little bit of trouble following everything Anand is talking about in his reviews as they are fairly technical, at least for me, but I usually get the gist and in this review everything was explained in such a way that I had little trouble understanding the main point. That main point in this case being, basically, (spoiler alert!): that the new Nexus 7 rocks!!

Highlights that I liked about Anand's review:

For one thing he says that the Snapdragon S4 Pro used in the new N7 is essentially a 600 because of some factors I'm not completely understanding but something to do with the Krait cores they used and I've heard elsewhere that the S4 Pro Asus and Google used in the new N7 is basically an underclocked 600 so I guess this confirms it. Anand compares it to the SGS4 (Snapdragon 600) and finds that the performance difference is not as great as one might expect. He also goes on to show through extensive tables and charts from tests he ran, that the battery performance, display quality and gpu performance are all top notch...

I liked his introduction the best and the conclusion was great too. I also learned some new things from this review like always to keep the flash memory free of up to at least 20% at all times in order to get optimal storage performance. Plus I learned about the FSTRIM function in the new N7 which optimizes the storage performance as well.

If you take a good look at the charts in this review you'll see that in many cases, including certain display, battery life, and GPU performance, the new Nexus 7 beats out the N10, iPad 4 and other tablets.

Overall I found this review very informative as well as helpful (even though I already got my N7 (2013) on Friday), and it's nice to know that it got the Silver award too! It's not a long review and if you're not too busy this three day weekend I strongly recommend giving it a read if you're interested... I'll include the link below:

AnandTech | The Nexus 7 (2013) Review
    Nexus 7 (2013) - 16 GB Android Kit-Kat 4.4.2
    iPad Air - 16 GB iOS 7 (Space Gray)
    HTC One Max - 32 GB Android Jelly Bean 4.3 w/Sense 5.5 - On VZW

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Note that Anand's review came out before the issues started popping up.
    His wasn't effected during the testing, but some don't surface until a week later.
    Check this out on Google's own forums...

https://productforums.google.com/for...6-600-false%5D

Note that only a small (but growing) number were effected. Others are just fine. Bad part has been that some started out OK, then went south later.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Note that Anand's review came out before the issues started popping up.
    His wasn't effected during the testing, but some don't surface until a week later.
    Check this out on Google's own forums...

https://productforums.google.com/for...6-600-false%5D

Note that only a small (but growing) number were effected. Others are just fine. Bad part has been that some started out OK, then went south later.
    Interesting... I hadn't heard about the rebooting and crashing, only heard about multi-touch issues. While I haven't had the multi-touch problem I am sad to report that my N7 did indeed reboot on it's own once since I got it last Friday... It rebooted while I was web surfing last night. I thought to myself, "what's going on???".... LOL but didn't pay too much attention to it as it booted up quickly and the webpage I was reading was restored automatically when I opened up Chrome Browser.

I hope this does not become a regular thing cause I really love this tablet! I have confidence that Google will fix the problem and I don't plan to return the device. I am not happy to hear that this is happening consistently with other users though... If it happens again I will be very disappointed but if it's not happening that frequently then it's not a deal breaker for me. That said I understand that it might be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I remember the early days of Honeycomb on my A500, it would reboot sometimes but they fixed it with ICS. Maybe they will fix it with the new N7 too...
    Nexus 7 (2013) - 16 GB Android Kit-Kat 4.4.2
    iPad Air - 16 GB iOS 7 (Space Gray)
    HTC One Max - 32 GB Android Jelly Bean 4.3 w/Sense 5.5 - On VZW

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    ATP I have confidence. They haven't even admitted to the rebooting issue.
    I'm betting that a user/developer comes up with it before they do.
    Not based on anything but the fact that a developer created a working fix (for the majority of those effected) for the touch issue in 4 days, where Google/ASUS has been dragging their feet for 5 weeks.
    The only downside to the fix is that you have to unlock the Bootloader and push the file through ADB: something that the average user wouldn't/couldn't/(probably) shouldn't do - nor should they have to.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    It gets better and better...
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/...ms-desire-fix/

CNET too:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...-7-holding-up/

It's starting to propagate.
    They should have handled this a lot sooner and to the satisfaction of the effected instead of dragging their feet and denying. Their extreme lack of CS is coming back to haunt them.

How does it feel, Google/ASUS? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

BTW, mine Froze 2X while typing this. 15Q killed mine.
    Last edited by danvee; 09-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    "Google: working hard to make Windows ME look good!"

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    ATP, they don't have to work at all.
    If they do nothing (which they're good at) it'll happen all by itself.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Ha, true, though ordinarily this level of incompetence takes a lot of work to achieve. :/

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    I hope that Bezos buys Google.
    My experience with Amazon CS has always been stellar.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    I missed this one from International Business Times :

http://www.ibtimes.com/nexus-7-2013-...ond-gen-tablet

The Google Devs will need to buy nomex undies pretty soon.
    People are starting to report freezing and rebooting issues with 4.3 on the N7 2012.

Google's gonna need to get some cases of
    thunderbolt_nick likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links