Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Good Experience With New Nexus 7.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Good Experience With New Nexus 7.

Most of us post to these forums when we have a problem, so I thought I'd post about my positive experience with the new Nexus 7. I had the 16GB model for a week or two and then upgraded to the 32GB model which I've had and used extensively for about four weeks. Both tablets performed flawlessly -- no touchscreen problems, no dead pixels, and no GPS problems, although I haven't done much testing of the GPS. I'm 74 years old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but the new Nexus 7 has been perfect for me. I just finished reading the Kindle edition of "Never Go Back," the latest Jack Reacher novel, and the N7 is the best e-reader I've used. The Google keyboard was a little small for me so I'm using the A.I.type Keyboard Plus app. Overall I'm very pleased with the new Nexus 7.
    quadtronix, Gabriel and Mujibar like this.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Only had mine for a week and a half but I'm loving it so far. No complaints other than I had trouble getting my PC to recognize it but got that all sorted out.
    When I'm not hanging out here or in the sister S3 forum I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Im glad to hear you are enjoying the tablet! Got mine about a week and a half ago. 16GB. I have for the most part been extremely pleased with the new N7 as I was with the old. I use it mostly for ereading and web but also forums, YouTube, evernote and Pulse News the news aggregator. I love voice search and Google now. I want to try out Google Keep too. (For those that are unaware Google Keep is like Evernote but supposed to be better...) I love the display on the new N7 and the Snapdragon S4 pro screams. I have that SOC in my Droid DNA too and am more then satisfied!! I have to be honest though, and admit that my N7 has rebooted itself twice while I was web browsing but that is my only complaint. I hope they fix that but no big deal... If that is the price one pays for such a great tablet, I say its worth it.
    Nexus 7 (2013) - 16 GB Android Kit-Kat 4.4.2
    iPad Air - 16 GB iOS 7 (Space Gray)
    HTC One Max - 32 GB Android Jelly Bean 4.3 w/Sense 5.5 - On VZW

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Were you using Chrome at the time?
    That's a known issue...

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    That's a known issue...
    Yes I was... And so I have heard... Is there a fix? I love chrome and would rather not dl another browser...
    Nexus 7 (2013) - 16 GB Android Kit-Kat 4.4.2
    iPad Air - 16 GB iOS 7 (Space Gray)
    HTC One Max - 32 GB Android Jelly Bean 4.3 w/Sense 5.5 - On VZW

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    That's a known issue [reboots]...
    I spend a lot of time browsing with Chrome on my N7 and I've never experienced a reboot. I wonder if it could be related to an interaction with other software?
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Since Google /ASUS admits to no issues, I'm betting on a 'stealth' update. I wouldn't want to be hanging by my thumbs waiting for it, though. :banghead:
    I personally use the AOSP Android browser. There's a version floating around that installs without needing to be rooted or using a custom recovery. Works far more smoothly than Chrome on any of my devices.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I spend a lot of time browsing with Chrome on my N7 and I've never experienced a reboot. I wonder if it could be related to an interaction with other software?
    Right now, there are so many issues at play, that it can be hardware or software.
    It seems that units that are plagued by reboots are aggravated by Chrome, and it's reproduceable.
    Some reboot only due to Chrome.
    Even with no 'extra' apps installed some experience this.

What we/they apparently have is a situation where software issues on one side combine with hardware issues on the other. If soley one or the other you may have only a few 'irregularities' in operation.
    If 'lucky' enough to have both, you have a device spontaneously rebooting multiple times a day, or with a Touchscreen that goes dead until a reboot.

Be happy that those with the 'double whammy' are in 'statistically insignificant' numbers. (I'm 'statistically insignificant', myself).

Time will tell (or not)..

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I've had my Nexus 7 for about three weeks now as well and am quite happy with it. I've also had a couple of sudden reboot recently, and yes it was while I was using Chrome. Now as for the update that was just recently applied, I have not had the tablet long enough to know if it has made things worse or not.

Overall my experience with the new tablet has been positive. Considering that this is a new device, as well as OS, there are bound to be some problems. Now as to how long a solution to the problems will take is another matter.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    You are in the very happy majority.
    Rejoice! :thumbup:

A lot of us haven't had that great an experience.
    Mine didn't really start acting up (other than a few reboots when asleep and occasional lag) until after the last update.
    Now it freezes 15+ times a day and reboots occasionally (not using Chrome or GPS - both known to aggravate it).

Too late to return it, and ASUS is clueless as to what to do with them as per a conversation yesterday with their CS.

After 6 weeks, still waiting (im)patiently for Google to step up and do something that actually helps the situation.
    (insert sound of crickets)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links