Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times

I guess Google/ASUS couldn't take it....

They either closed or allowed the thread

https://productforums.google.com/for...B1-25-false%5D

to lapse (last post being mid October) or they shut it down.
    Tried posting 3X. Posts took, but later 'disappeared' along with others since that date.

New thread up, though. Note that the frustration over the 'minority' or 'statistically insignificant' numbers of effected N7 2013s being ignored has driven some to shouting and obscenities.

https://productforums.google.com/for...o/Q0G4IcPYxXwJ

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    With the rules of this family-friendly forum, I can't express my thoughts in words I'd like.

"What do you expect, it's a development device."

Yeah. It took a regular Joe to fix the touch problems. I never noticed anything with GPS, and a little road trip shows it works for 20 minutes or so. But these random reboots are not acceptable at all.
    [Nexus 7 2013 running the ultra-awesome CleanROM 2.1 LE (KitKat) - I always do backups and a clean flash, even with stock ROMs]
    [Nexus 7 2012 given to a friend] [Toshiba Thrive running Android 4.1] [Microsoft Zune 30 classic] [Commodore 128 and assorted goodies]

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Too bad for us : Google/ASUS doesn't even acknowledge that issue...

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    That got me thinking. Perhaps they could pay attention to, you know, their own search engine?

Name:  search.png
Views: 899
Size:  49.0 KB
    [Nexus 7 2013 running the ultra-awesome CleanROM 2.1 LE (KitKat) - I always do backups and a clean flash, even with stock ROMs]
    [Nexus 7 2012 given to a friend] [Toshiba Thrive running Android 4.1] [Microsoft Zune 30 classic] [Commodore 128 and assorted goodies]

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Why bother?
    Stock values are good, stockholders are happy, only 10% or so of the customer base got screwed over, mainstream tech press doesn't care, sales are gangbusters - all's right with the world of Google/ASUS ..

Who could ask for anything more?
    Oh, yeah, how about a tablet that registers touch properly, and/or doesn't reboot 3-4X a day even if no extra apps are installed....even after 3 factory updates (the latest of which trashed mine)

I wonder how Samsung, Toshiba, Hisense, Amazon/Kindle, etc, handle these issues?
    Oh, wait, they don't need to: even the $99 Hisense Sero7 doesn't have that issue.... Heck, even the $60 'Polaroid' 7" tablets at Big Lots don't do that...

For the cost of shipping, though, I can send mine to ASUS and hope they fix it, although nobody who's done that so far has reported a 'permanent' fix. It boomerangs back within a week /10 days.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Phone
    Galaxy Note 10+
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    But these random reboots are not acceptable at all.
    This was typical with the Nexus 10, would freeze then reboot, was fixed with an update. On 4.3 no real issues.
    The 10 is a Samsung though, not an Assus...
    Last edited by EfinTDI; 11-04-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Odd you should mention that.
    One of the respondents in the now-closed thread said that we had no right to be perturbed as he had those issues with his N10 and it took them 8 months to come up with a fix for it. :0
    (Can't imagine the levels of pain that the Google/ASUS partnership can achieve with the 10".)
    So, I guess that if they get it fixed in 6 (2 to go), we should be singing their praises, sacrificing the odd virgin, killing the fatted calf, etc?

I have to say that in 40 years of dealing with manufacturers, warrantees, defective goods, etc at retail, wholesale and manufacturing levels I've NEVER encountered this flagrant lack of customer support concerning an obviously defective product.

Basically it leaves us trapped like rats.
    If bought from the PlayStore, all is well - keep shuffling devices until you get a 'good' one.
    The rest of us have to pay to send it to ASUS and >50%of the people reporting get a 'repaired' device that exhibits the same issues after a week or so. (current repair practice is to replace the display/digitizer and the GPS module - according to the repair sheet sent)
    So, back again it goes until it gets fixed 'for real' or the customer gives up. (on the customer's nickel, too)

In the Google forum above, one especially vocal member claims to have drilled a hole through his to mount on his trailer hitch to 'show the world how much Google/ASUS sucks'.
    If true, it's nice to be able to basically throw away $300 (I surely can't).

Just shows how upset the 'statistically insignificant' effected customers are. I guess, if they have no tenable solution silence is the best way to deal with it. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

(froze 5X while writing this)
    Last edited by danvee; 11-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    That twit's argument is absurd. It's akin to one accident victim saying that, well, it took him months to get compensation, and anybody waiting less has no right to complain. There is one product I remember that competes; haven't thought about this in years. It was a 100% horrible laptop series from a manufacturer my two oldest friends and I worked for in our salad days. One of my friends was in product engineering and sent a blunt memo to the highest level of management that we had to stop shipping the units immediately, outlining all the unfixed problems. The Pentium CPUs tended to overheat, floppy drives and CD-ROMs were not hot-swappable as advertised, and certain PCMCIA cards would prevent the units from POSTing (though they worked fine in all other laptops). All these problems were known and had been discussed, some since beta-testing, but the executives wanted to stick to their timetables, no doubt so they could get bonuses for meeting the schedule. They figured any problems must be so minor ("Look at our name, we can't do anything wrong or make a bad product!") could easily be fixed later on. Sound familiar? It's a famous old name, and after a couple of decent laptop series, the third and fourth were so bad that nobody trusted them anymore. They gave up on laptops after two years.

It was 1997, and we didn't even have a website for downloading drivers, nor did we send driver backups with units. (Just like the new N7 was originally released without a stock ROM backup!) I had to argue with my boss about copying drivers to a floppy and mailing it to a customer. When we did finally set up a site, our product PR guy's job was to keep refreshing the page to boost the page count, so that it wouldn't look brand new.

Was rebooting ever a widespread problem with the N10, and how quick was that update? I'd never heard of any major problems, and it might not have been the fix the guy needed anyway, if it was an anomalous defect.

Twitter
    nickburress2k2
    Tablet
    Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I know exactly how everyone here feels. I had these same problems while owning the previous generation Nexus 7 and Hangouts. There was a known issue that video calls would just cause the application to force quit on the Nexus 7. I left a topic on https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/Ii6HgJ5ts28

Month after month other people started coming forward, but no response from Google. Eventually, someone did but was trying to capture more information on the issue. After a few more months people of telling them about the issue they finally decided to let us know that the engineering team was working on it since there were already several updates to the app that did not fix it. Took (I think) about another month for them to finally tell us (after I got a new Nexus 7) that the Nexus 7 and video hangouts apparently doesn't like animated GIFs as avatars....what? Really? It took you all several months to do a Quality test on THAT! I still don't know why it only affected the Nexus 7 (2012) but...ugh. That took WAY too long. Admittedly, I feel silly not doing this test myself, but still...
    ..::Devices::..
    Samsung Moment(Retired)
    HTC Thunderbolt (Retired)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III - Rooted with Stock ROM (Retired)
    Nexus 7 (Gen 1) (Retired)
    Nexus 7 (Gen 2)- Back from ASUS with Stock with Lollipop 5.0.1!!!
    Verizon Moto X - Stock with KitKat 4.4.4!!!

Phone
    Galaxy Note 10+
    Tablet
    Nexus 10
    Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    My original Nexus 7, bought through Google was returned for touch screen issues, it was part of the first lot to come out of Google's A$$us, returned it to Google and got a second run edition, it works great, and it's on 4.3 now as well.
    Last edited by EfinTDI; 11-04-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links